Chapter 6

Flashback

Bob's POV
"Okay so you are sure? 100%?"

I stifled a laugh as I pretended to be serious about this situation. Sue, my fiancée, had woken up with an outrageous idea; she wanted a tattoo, of my name.
"You know I can see the laugh lines on your forehead right? And yes for the 100th time, nataka tattoo!"

I felt my lips tug upwards at her determination. Could I fall in love with this woman more than I already had? We were currently on our king sized bedroom in our flat at Kileleshwa. It was my birthday today and my crazy girlfriend decided to ink herself to commemorate the ceremony. Last year, I had gotten a tattoo of her name on my upper right arm and she has been ogling at it whenever she  gets a chance since then.
"Let's be reasonable. Unajua mum hates tattoos right? And she notices anything out of the ordinary? I don't want her denying me my bride before I get her you know."

I stepped closer to her, invading her personal vicinity, dipping my fingers to untangle knots in her hair, she loved it when I did that or at least I thought she did.

"My body my choice, I'm getting a tattoo whether you like it or not!"
Susan was hot headed in every aspect of the word and it was even worse when she didn't get her way. She huffed and pulled away from my magical energy (as she liked to call it). Now what is it the bird from the animation Rio said? Yes. "Happy wife happy life."

"Fine, utachorwa. But I don't want to hear whining about pain and if mum sees it your on your own. Mtoto akililia wembe."
I watched as angry lines on her forehead disappeared and a mind blowing pearly smile formed on her lips, I fell in love with that smile. What followed was a series of happy dancing and whooping. She dashed off to the telephone probably to tell Marie that she was going to tattoo herself. If you thought Sue was manipulating you should meet her sister, girl could con you out of your shirt with only two sentences. I sighed in defeat and went to sprawl on my bed. Upon slumping into it, my phone blasted into life with an unknown caller showing on the screen.
"Hello?"

"Hello. Is this Mr Obare? I would like to inform you that your father is dead."

End of flashback

"Sue?"
That woman had hit me so hard I was afraid one of my ligaments tore apart, but this was Sue hot headed as a ratchet. I winced in pain as I struggled to stand on my own two feet. Five years, five years since the police had barged into my flat and ripped me from my life. Five years since I heard Sue's angelic voice. Five years since I held her in my arms.

"I see you still hit like a man."

I hoped to break the ice and if not so far fetched, see her smile. That smile which brought me back to life each time. But maybe I was asking for too much...
"I see you still whine like a girl."

I leveled my eyes with hers as I limped towards her. Upon reaching her vicinity, she embraced me. I felt rejuvenated, heightened,   ecstatic even. I hugged her back with the same want she had. I had missed her, so much. We pulled apart from each other, both of us full of questions yet none of us wanted to ruin that moment by speaking. I held her face delicately in my arms as she did the same to mine. That's when I saw it. Not even a tonne of make up could hide it. A big purple bruise covered half of her face running from her eye up to her cheek. I instantly deduced that Darren did it. I would kill that bastard the minute I laid eyes on him.
"I know what you are thinking Bob but now is not the time. Prove your innocence first-"
A shrill ringtone sounded from Sue's cellphone cutting her off, Darren was calling her.
"Hello? What? Slow down. Okay I'm on my way. Nakuja."
Sue's face turned pale as she began pulling away from me. Whatever Darren had told her had alarmed her.
"Ni nini?"

"Kimberly is having an attack Bob, she is epileptic."