Chapter 29

Sue's POV
I had seen it all. The bloodlust in Darren's eyes, the coldness in Patrick's, Marie's dark orbs were filled with unknown despair while her daughter's chestnut ones showcased confusion. When I had turned to see Bob, to look at his eyes, I saw an emotion that came rarely to his eyes, fear. If it was fear of not being able to fight for people he loved or fear of going back to prison and losing his only chance to set his life straight, I wasn't sure. Even with the element of the emotion dripping from his body, he didn't show it. He had swung the club with all his might but we all know no one brings a log of wood to a gun fight. He spiraled forward locking his eyes with mine and fell to the ground with a thud. Kim had called out mommy and I had seen Marie pause her movements, instinct telling her to run to her daughter and respond to the call. I heard my own scream when she was mercilessly disarmed and brought face down to the ground; she was knocked unconscious. I knew there was nothing I could do for my loved ones, four men with guns, two men with no hearts. So instead of playing hero or gauging my eyes out due to the intensity of my teary glands wanting to release tears, I ran to Kimberly. I held her in my arms and comforted her worries. She had just seen men with guns, two people on the ground. Was her fragile mind comprehending this? She looked at me, uncertainty written all over her face. Her excitement in the car had dwindled, her father had lied they were going to a bakery shop.

"Mbona unalia?" Her voice sounded while her tiny fingers wiped my tears away.

"It will be okay sweety, itakuwa sawa." I prayed my reassuring her sounded realistic.
I turned to view Patrick coming towards us and I instinctively hid Kim behind my back. He couldn't take her from me, no. After what he did to my sister? All she had wanted was a way to take care of us after our father left and our mother died, what she found was worse than hell itself. She had suffered under his wing for so many years. The beatings, constant rape and using her to sell drugs as well as herself. She had gone through it all, fear of harm coming to us if she ever left. But then I had met Bob, I had seen eternal love, my sister had seen a way out. When she found out she was pregnant, she kept the baby, knowing quite well she would give it to us and we would take care of it, far away from the father. I had tried convincing her to leave Patrick, that we would find a way to help her, protect her. But she had refused and it was only after she gave birth did she leave him, but then Bob was sent to prison and another monster was created, she had to stay close, keep an eye on us. When Darren started abusing me, she almost killed him but then Darren reminded her that he was the reason Kim wasn't with Patrick, her biological father.

"Give her to him." Darren spoke, not bothering to hide the pleasure he drew from this.

"Over my dead body."

Patrick's lips tugged up, a ruthless smile forming dangerously. He pulled his gun from his waist band and aimed it at me. He wouldn't, would he? In front of his own child? Darren swiftly moved towards him his eyes hard. As I had anticipated, he wouldn't let me die, I was his obsession after all.

"Hapana, not her. I have a quicker way for this exchange to be done."

Darren ordered his men to hold the two people I loved the most at gun point.
"Them for her, or they die."

My eyes wandered helplessly at Marie and Bob's figures on the ground. Both were unaware of the scene before them, both unaware of the choice I was being forced to make. I looked at Kim, her eyes were boring into mine, those innocent light brown eyes, color of a chestnut.

"Tick tock Suzzie." Darren seethed.
He was ready to kill his brother and my sister, he was just as much of a monster as Patrick was. If I chose those two, Marie would never set her eyes on me and possibly her own child. At least with us, Marie had watched Kim from a distance, as per Darren's orders, his publicity always came first. And Bob? Darren would either kill him or throw him back in prison.

What in the name was I going to do?