Chapter 26

Writer's POV

Inspector General Stephen Malaki ran a hand through his pepper hair while sighing heavily. He had just finished the eighth call in a spun of six hours in one night. Apparently, the escaped convict was spotted in a hospital in Nairobi. How incompetent were his men? Fifty six hours and forty three minutes, that's how long he'd been roaming the outside world. The telephone shook vigorously as it's usual tone blared through the silent office.

"Hello, Inspector General speaking."

"This is CS Katiang'i, I've been waiting for a status report from you. You understand why I'm calling personally and why its you I'm talking to right?"

I gulped heavily, the man talking to me was the CS of interior security and he was calling me directly? Instead of using head of CIDs? Yes, I could already see my well built career crumble before my eyes, I wondered if they would still give me pension...

"You still there?"

"Yes Sir. Forgive my sudden silence, I'm a little weary this night. Robert Obare, the escaped convict was spotted in Upper hill private hospital in Nairobi. We believe he had gone to see Susan Karanja, his ex fiancée in the absence of his younger brother, Darren Obare. We have doubled the police men in all exits of counties, spot checks and some have gone under cover as civilians with the aim of bringing him in. We will locate him sir, no matter what it takes."
A satisfied huff sounded from the other side and Stephen relaxed his back into his arm chair.

"I want him caught in the next forty eight hours, failure to that you'll suffer dire repercussions. I will not have the country on its toes, fearing this man. Do not release this information to the press, don't cause panic."

The line went dead. Stephen's hand shook as a result of the threat he had just received; forty eight hours or face the boiling pot. He patched a call through to an unknown caller via a secure line, his career was on the line.

"Hello? I know I owe you one but its over now, no more favors, you are on your own."

Stephen quickly cut off the conversation without waiting for a reply. Making sure the call could not be retraced, he got up from his chair and swung his coat over his shoulder. He swept his eyes over his small office one more time before exiting. The police station was busy, everyone fumbling over everything, searching for clues and leads. He knew all county police stations were doing the same thing. It was only a matter of time before Robert Obare was put back in the pit. Stephen exited the police station and proceeded to his silver Nissan navara. He fished out his keys and aimed at the lock on the side of his car. He halted his movements quite sure someone was behind him. Stephen patted his left pocket, no gun. Of course, how convenient, he had left it inside his car earlier when he had intended to leave. He felt the cold muzzle through his light shirt, death loomed over him.

"We had a deal." A voice sounded.

The inspector closed his eyes anticipating his death and it came. Two shots on his back, the gun was a silencer, no one heard it blare. The killer gazed at his lifeless body, awed at how quickly life ended. The man had been afraid to lose his career, now he had lost his life. The killer compared himself to super man, he wasn't a villain. He had just gotten rid of a corrupt cop who was on top, he had done good by his country. Like a soldier from war, the killer turned on his heel and marched away from the crime scene, satisfied with his act of valor.