Chapter 36

Bob's POV

Light...dim... light...screams...sobs...
What was happening? Yet again I had been hit at the back of my head with a blunt object; was it my new found weakness? My limbs were stiff and implacable, they had tied me up. My ears registered high pitched sobs; oh no it was Sue. Her in danger was my kryptonite, I had to see what was going on. I yanked my eyes open, taking in my environment quickly. I was in a dim lit room positioned against the wall with my arms and legs tied tightly. My mother was leaning over Marie, whispering words of comfort or was it prayer? Marie was coughing blood, she was going into shock, a few minutes and she'd die. Sue was tied up in her own corner sobbing loudly and occasionally screaming for help, she was literally watching her sister die, as if watching her mother hadn't been enough. I felt helpless, I couldn't do anything but watch Marie's life drain out of her body. If only I hadn't escaped prison, dragged Marie into my mess, she'd still live to be with her family, this was all my fault.

"Kim, K-kim...my daughter please..."

Marie whispered weakly, struggling to sound her needs. I wet my lips, my mouth feeling dry.

"Jack! Jack!"

If anyone could have a change of heart around this place, it was him. I had no heart to look at my mother, she had had another life all along, hidden things that weren't supposed to be hidden. I had thought we were close but now? Now I didn't know what to think.

"Unataka nini?" The voice came from the other side of the door, the foghorn authoritative voice.

"Jack, Marie is dying we need to help her please. Don't you have a soul? You saw what she's been through-"

I was cut off by the sound of heels turning to walk away, he was gone, he didn't care. Sue's sobs grew louder as my mom started shaking involuntary, she was crying. I tugged on the ropes but they wouldn't budge, I couldn't free myself. My father had died and I had been blamed for his murder, I didn't cry then. I was sentenced to life imprisonment, I hadn't cried then either. I had found out that the love of my life was marrying my younger brother, my tear glands had remained dry. I had faced death and imprisonment one too many times and I still stood my ground that men didn't cry. I had knocked on a door to deliver a favor for a pal and I had come face to face with my mother, I still hadn't cried. I had found out that the person who had ruined my life was my own blood and had shared with him a cell for five years, it had all been a ploy, I still hadn't showed any emotion. Seeing Marie gasp for air whilst whispering for her daughter churned my insides causing tears to free themselves from the bondage of my tear glands, I cried like a baby. Everyone in the room halted their own anguish and turned to look at me. I felt Sue's eyes burn on the side of my head, I knew she yearned to come comfort me and for once offer me a bear hug. Instead of her, my mother approached me. Then it hit me. She was free right? Untied? In all my disorientation and anguish, I had overlooked her freedom. She had the   capability to free us and save Marie's life.

"Please mom free us so we can help Marie, she's dying."

My mother stopped movements towards me and shook her head.

"I can't, I can't. He is watching."

I furrowed my eye brows, my tears a thing of the past. What did she mean? I followed the direction of her gaze and landed on the small CCTV camera above Sue.

Son of a gun had been watching us the whole time, was this bloody entertaining to him?

"He would kill everyone if I helped." My mother whispered, she was scared of her own son. Had he physically abused her? It dawned to me that Darren wasn't in the room, I wondered if he was in the same room as Kim. Maybe Darren could rescue them? If he hadn't been the one to ruin him, maybe he had a soul.

"Jere! I know your watching me! Chukueni Marie, please! This is a family matter, She's not a part of this."

There was a moment of silence but it was quickly broken by Marie going into a series of convulsions. The door was burst open and some men grabbed her, by the time they left she was limp, I heard Sue gasp. It was as if she was, gone.