Chapter 41

Writer's POV

"Let me get this straight, what you are saying is that Robert Obare is actually innocent?"

Inspector General George Turget sat opposite the CS in his well furnished office and had just finished narrating in details what he had found out, he had even showed him the recording from the CCTV camera and the facial recognition results that his IT team had cracked.

"Yes Sir. Robert Obare was framed for the murder of Mwangi Obare and also our assumption of him killing the late Inspector General was false."

The CS visibly swallowed. George knew why his boss had become tense upon hearing this information; the public won't be too nice once they discovered that the justice system was corrupt to the point of throwing an innocent man to prison for life.

"Well do we know where he is?"

"No sir, but we are working on it, the last known location of Robert  is Eastlands. I have men interviewing people there and our best trackers are on their trail. The IT department is working on the city cameras as we speak, we will get them Sir."

The CS stood up from his chair and walked towards the window. Opening it, he signed heavily and let out a low almost unheard chuckle.

"I have kicked off my career with bad mojo. Trying to capture an escaped convict who is actually innocent. I'll be the laughing stock in parliament."

George gnawed at his words. Sure this was true, it was Kenya after all. But wasn't there some glory in finding justice for everyone? Besides he'd have caught Jeremy Oloo, a man known for his conniving ways of ensuring total loyalty and his exceptional talent of leaving no tracks behind.

"Sir, if I may." The CS turned from the window motioning George to speak up. " You'll be putting a monster behind bars and freeing an innocent man not to mention unveiling the corruption in the justice system, you'll not be ridiculed,  you'll be praised."

The CS seemed thoughtful for a while.

"Tell me about this Jere."

Luckily for George, he had done a background check on his way to the CS's office and made a call to Nakuru Prisons.

"Jeremy Oloo was born and raised in the ghetto by a single mother. At a tender age he was exposed to drugs and he became a trafficker. He has been caught several times but his case never stuck being released after a few months. From the age of nineteen there are no records of him, he is off the radar. During this time his mother and siblings died in a tragic fire accident. His name appears again years later whereby a guy apparently working for him is killed before taking the stand as a witness to testify against him. The forensics on the case discovered the case to be suicide rather than murder; the person was too afraid of testifying against him he killed himself. Jeremy then is arrested and taken to Nakuru Prisons around the time Robert is arrested. The police report doesn't even say why he was arrested, he just was. According to my assessment this is all connected with Robert, he has a grudge against him, a grudge big enough to kill Mwangi Obare and frame Robert for it."

The CS had returned to his seat and his large frame kept bobbing his head all through the report.

"Good work Inspector General, I knew what I was doing when I promoted you. Now, I give a statement in forty eight hours on the progress of the case. I do not want to put pressure on you, but I'll only tell the public of Robert's innocence if you catch Jeremy Oloo within those hours."

George shifted uncomfortably under the intense gaze of the CS. Forty eight hours? How in the name was that even going to be possible? They had no information whatsoever on their whereabouts and besides he had left out some information while giving out his report. His men had told him that Darren Obare, Susan Karanja, Marie Wanjiru and the child Kimberly Obare, were all missing. Something sinister was happening in some part of the country but the what and why was completely unknown. Question was, what was the connection between Jeremy Oloo and Robert Obare?  They were not business rivals or even school rivals, records show that there was no way the two could have crossed paths in their lives unless...

"Excuse me Sir. I have to get back to work."

The CS stood up and offered George a firm handshake. George nodded his head understanding the tight grip of the handshake; within forty eight hours, George could lose his job. Perhaps purchasing a land in Kiambu should have been his first priority after all.

George's phone buzzed in his right pocket, he fished it out and swiped the green button.

"Do you have something for me?"

"Yes sir. The city camera shows two vehicles identified from the scene of Eastlands leaving Nairobi and taking the Naivasha route."

"Thank you. Assemble a team, we are going to Naivasha."