⤝Chapter 8⤞ ➺ Midnight's Veil, A Moment Of Fate's Decree ➺

In the darkness of midnight, fate took its stand,As two worlds collided, neither planned

As two worlds collided, neither planned.
With fiery words and actions, a lesson was taught,
In the quiet of night, a storm was wrought.

See end of Chapter for Notes. (Long Chapter) (Sigh)

Life is an unpredictable journey, forever shifting with a single blink. The next moment remains a mystery, capable of turning laughter into tears, and a pauper into a millionaire, or vice versa.

"Mum, I'm heading out to work. I'll be back tomorrow morning by 6 am," Shafaq's voice reverberated through the doorway. She was set to babysit two children for the night, as their parents were attending a New Year's Eve party. Initially, Shafaq felt a pang of sympathy for the children, wishing their parents would spend the holiday with them. Yet, she quickly pushed aside judgement, recognising that she wasn't in a position to critique their choices.

The journey to their house was a bit of a haul, requiring two train changes, a bus ride, and a final 15-minute walk. It was no wonder they hadn't found someone yet, she mused to herself.

Just a short while later, Aaina, now sporting a fresh, stylish haircut, decided to pay a visit to her friend Asra, who lived a few blocks away. She was in higher spirits, the new look granting her the courage to step outside. Though she wouldn't admit it, deep down, she was grateful to Shafaq for insisting on the haircut.

"Mum, I'm heading to Asra's. Clovie and Lusy will be there too. I might be a bit late," she called out from the entrance.

Around 9:45 pm, Iqra approached her mother, a serious look on her face. "Mum, Haniya asked me to come to their restaurant. She said it's urgent. I know it's late, but she promised to drive me home. Can I go?" she enquired of Sila.

"No, you can catch up with her in the morning," Sila responded firmly.

"Mum, I really need to be there for her. She was in tears when she called. I think she needs her best friend right now. Besides, she'll make sure I get back safely. Please," Iqra implored, her eyes filled with sincerity.

"I've said no, it's New Year's Eve, and there'll be a lot of revelry and you know what else," Sila firmly stood her ground.

"But you allowed Aaina to go," Iqra countered, her gaze a silent plea for fairness.

"That rascal didn't even ask for permission; she was gone before I could say a word. Let her come I will show her...," Sila retorted.

"Mum, the restaurant is just a 15-minute drive away," Iqra voiced her disappointment.

Before Sila could respond, a knock at the door interrupted them. A ray of hope walked in with Mohsin's arrival. He greeted them both before enquiring about Shafaq's whereabouts.

"Didn't Shafaq Aapi tell you? Monica found her a babysitting job, so she's over there," Iqra informed him.

Though Mohsin felt a twinge of disappointment, understanding the significance of the job for Shafaq, he accepted it with grace.