bullshit

October 1985
Hawkins, Indiana.

tap tap tap.

el's eyes twitched from her book to the window, a wide smile finding her way to her face as she saw his figure. she bolted out of bed, quickly walking to her window and unlocking it, letting her boyfriend jump into the room (of course almost tripping over in the process).

el giggled, "shhh, hopper is sleeping" she whispered.

"sorry" he said once he was settled.

she threw her arm around his neck, welcoming him in a warm embrace. he hugged her back, his face buried in her shoulder as he took in her scent.

she pulled back all of the sudden, only to pull him down, her hand on the back of his neck to give him a quick kiss on the lips.

his cheeks grew warm, he couldn't help it. this was the first time he saw her so anxious to kiss him.

she never failed to make him nervous, to make him feel so— bubbly, inside.

"i missed you" she said in a whisper, her forehead almost against his.

"m-me too, a... lot" he said slowly.

"el?" he said, interrupting the wave of silence.

"yeah?"

"i like you"

she grinned, "i know. i like you too"

he let out a shaky breath, his legs wobbling and his heart skipped a beat. "cool" he breathed.

jane placed a hand over his burning chest, feeling his heart starting to speed up. she smiled at this. his cheeks were burning hot as he watched her soft, slow actions.

his lips parted and she slowly brought his hand to her heart, that was also beating really quickly.

"see" she said, her eyes never leaving his, "it only happens when i'm with you" she said shyly and he swore he could melt right then right there.

he placed a hand over hers, that was still against his chest, as if saying me too. i feel the same way. he was struggling to not say those three words he wanted to tell her so badly.

that his heart beat like that not only because he liked her but because he loved her.

mike was obviously scared to tell her. they were young, and he's sure she had been taught that only grown-ups can feel love.

that's bullshit to him. but was it to her?

for now, he kept those three words to himself.

a movement snapped him out of his thoughts and he connected his eyes to hers again, looking down.

she went on her tiptoes and leaned to his ear, her breath hitting his cheek.

what she said was the most unexpected thing he'd ever seen her say or do. it was as if she had read his mind.

wait, can she actually read my mind?

"i love you, mike"

his heart stopped.

she tilted her head so that their faces were just a few inches apart, to see his reaction. she was scared to have made a mistake.

she knew she didn't when his heart started beating faster again. (her hand was still to his chest)

"god, el. i love you. i love you so much" he said, pulling her to his chest and she wrapped her arms around his waist.

"i love you, too"

-

this is so simple and short and the ending sucks but i really needed to update something. i also have to work on a request and it's been a few crazy days with fam and stuff bcs of christmas, that's why i couldn't update here.
anyways, i hope you enjoyed.
love u all