Chapter 18 - Celia's Loss of Hope

I could still feel the cold air hit my frozen body as I looked up at the stars. I was outside on my back porch, sitting on a seat with hot coco in my hand and a blanket wrapped around me. The blanket was falling off of my shoulders, so I quickly wrapped slipped it back up and sighed. I could see my breath go out right in front of me because of how cold it was. I wasn't sure why I was out here in winter..in Canada. I just needed to get my mind off of things. Certain things, like Jack. Every harsh word was embedded in my mind. I had never felt this alone before. As I was deep in thought, thinking of how Jack was doing and whatever happened with that party, I heard the screen door slide open and close back with a thump. I heard footsteps coming near me and turned to see my mother with a compassionate look on my face coming towards me.

I braved a smile and sighed to her. "Hello, mom." I greeted. She smiled at me and took a seat on the chair next to me. She scooted closer to me and sighed. "How are you holding up, hon?" She asked me. I nodded, braving a smile. I looked down at the ground, remembering Jack. I suddenly burst into tears, shaking and crying. I had been trying to contain it all this time, but I needed to let it out. My mother's eyes widened and when she knew I had been holding back my feelings, she wrapped her arms around me and held me tightly. "It's okay, baby, it's okay. He'll come back if he's got any common sense." I sobbed and put my face in my hands, trying to hold in my sobs and sniffles. "I'm so sorry, mom, it's just that he was my best friend." I wouldn't tell her now, but I kind of wanted Jack and I to be a little something more.

My mother seemed to be understanding and sighed, still hugging me tightly. "Yes, Celia, I do understand. But, why do you think he did this to you?" She asked me. I looked up at her, my eyes red and my face tear stained. "I d-don't know, I don't want to think about that right now though." I sniffled, tears streaming down my face. My mom got the saddest look on her face, probably from seeing me in so much despair, that she held me closely and rubbed my back, soothingly. I sniffled and tried my best to stop crying. It wasn't working. "I think Jack was just focused on being popular that he was blinded by his own emotions ruling over his feelings for you." My cheeks went red. "What are you talking about, feelings?" I asked, a bit surprised.

My mother chuckled and brushed the hair out of my face. "I meant as a friend. But he could feel more for you, who knows. Still, I think if you just try to talk things out with him, he'll come around. I know it, Celia." I managed to smile. That one sentence opened my eyes to a ray of hope right in front of me. I looked over at my cell phone, just calling for me, urging me to reach Jack. I looked back at my mom and nodded, smiling. I wiped the last bit of my tears away and hugged her, tightly. "Thank you so much, mom, I love you." My mom giggled and hugged me back. "I'll always be here for you, Celia, no matter what." I pulled away from her and nodded, pushing my hair back behind my ear. 

My mother scooted her chair back and got up, kissing my forehead. She smiled at me one last time before walking back in the house, shutting the screen door behind her. I sighed and quickly reached for my phone. I opened up my contacts and saw Jack there. Sometime after he had become real, I bought him a phone in case I had to reach him when we were apart. I guess this was the first time he'd use it. If he picked up. I dialed his number and held the phone up closely to my ear. The phone started to ring once, twice, three times..my heart started to sink. 

My face fell as it continued to ring. "Please, Jack..please let me reach you." Nothing. It still continued to ring. I kept hoping, praying that he'd pick up at the last minute, but nothing was happening. Just as I was about to lose hope, the ringing stopped. "Hey, this is Jack!" He spoke. He picked up! I reached him! I gasped and laughed, happily. "Jack, I'm so glad you picked up! I just want to talk with you-" "Please leave a message after the beep. Thank you!" A beep chimed at the same time that my heart dropped. I remained silent, distraught that he didn't even pick up. Would a voice mail even do anything? I cleared my throat and listened to the silence on the other line. 

I struggled to find the right words, but eventually formed a sentence in my head. "H-Hello, Jack, this is Celia. I had hoped you would pick up, but I ended up getting this- well, um, your voice mail." I stuttered. I sighed. "I really want to talk to you. Please, Jack.." My voice started to break. I covered my mouth with my hands, trying not to let him know I was crying. I shuddered and held the phone back up to my ear. "Please, let's talk sometime. Goodb-" I couldn't even finish my sentence. As the memories came flooding back to me and the cruel reality that he might want nothing to do with me ever again set in, I broke down and started to cry and sob again. I didn't have time to end the call, so this was all going in the voice mail for him to hear sooner or later. Great.

I picked up my phone and quickly ended the call. I couldn't bear to think of Jack completely ignoring me. If I could, I would chuck that phone far off into the woods. Hopefully the moose will find it and eat it. It is Canada, after all. I wiped away my tears and sat back down in my chair, gazing up at the stars. I sighed, a last tear rolling down my cheek. Please, Jack, let that message reach you.