Chapter Five

(Niall’s P.O.V.)

When we got home it was around five and I ran to the fridge, hungry for anything. I grabbed a long sandwich and turned around and inspected the house. It was just Valerie; Katrina was nowhere to be seen.

“Hey, where’s Katrina?” I asked. Valerie snorted.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” she asked. I felt my face burn. “She went for a walk. Said something about the park.”

I nodded and shoved the rest of the sandwich in my mouth and went out the door. I wanted to apologize to Katrina for what I had done in the morning. She seemed extremely pissed.

I followed the sidewalk to the park. It was mostly empty, probably because it looked like it was about to rain. Out of the five people there, Katrina was not one of them. I furrowed my brows and kept walking, a hidden path catching my eye. I figured I might as well try it.

It led me through a wooded area and up some stone stairs, stopping at many landings and winding all over. My legs started to burn and I was about to give up and walk home when I heard something.

It sounded like someone was throwing sticks. I followed the sound and my eye fell on a girl with dark brown, curly hair, holding a huge stick and whacking in repeatedly on a tree.

Pieces of the stick were flying everywhere and it kept getting shorter and shorter. She seemed really angry. Every whack grew stronger and fiercer. When she reached the end of the stick, she stared at in, breathing hard. Then she threw the stick into the forest. She took a sharp breath, then collapsed onto the ground in heartbroken sobs, her back against the tree.

I ran to her and grabbed her shaking shoulder. She looked up, mascara running down her face. “Katrina, what’s wrong?” I asked. She didn’t answer, just stared at me intensely. Then she shook her head and stood up.

“Nothing.”

“That wasn’t nothing, you were just trying to demolish that tree,” I said. She wiped her face and looked down at me.

“Come on. It’s time to go home, I’m making dinner with Harry,” she said as if nothing had happened. I stared at her in confusion and shock.

“Katrina, tell me what’s wrong,” I insisted, standing up. She ignored me and started walking. I badgered her the entire home, but she refused to speak. When we got to the apartment she quickly ran to the bathroom and came back soon after with a smile and a bright face.

“Come on, Harry. Let’s get cooking,” she said pulling him into the kitchen. I stayed rooted to the spot, staring after her. What in the world had I just witnessed and why wouldn’t she tell me what she was upset about? I wanted to help her. I hated it when girls cried, especially like that. That was the type of cry that took time to build up and then explode.

“What’s wrong mate?” Liam asked, looking at me funny. I shook my head and ran a hand through my hair.

“Apparently, nothing.”

(Katrina’s P.O.V.)

Dear Lord. Why did Niall have to find me like that? How had he known where I was anyway? What if he told everyone? I knew he’d bring it up again. I’d have to think of something to tell him. I hated telling people my problems. It made me feel weak.

“Kat,” Harry said. I looked up at him.

“What?” I asked.

“Can’t you hear the timer? Take the chicken out of the oven,” he instructed. I ran to the over and grabbed the plate and then screamed. I had forgotten oven mitts.