Prologue

All rights belong to Cassandra Clare, the original author of The Mortal Instruments series

City of Demons is based after City of Lost Souls and before City of Heavenly Fire. Hope that clears things up!
Let's get on with the story! <3

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

"Remind me again, why did I drag you guys with me?"

Evie trod across the leafy grounds of the Brocelind Forest with ease. Behind her strolled Clary and Isabelle-the former on high alert.

"Because it was either us or the boys," By 'the boys', Isabelle referred to Jace and Alec. "But Alec is still moping over his breakup with Magnus, and Jace-"

"Is untouchable." Clary cut in swiftly. Her posture was as stiff as her voice. With a sudden feeling of pity, Evie turned to face the girl.

"Sorry," she said. Shaking her head, Clary nudged Evie with her elbow. Isabelle slowed her step, until she stood by a tall tree. She paled significantly, hand rushing to get her whip as Evie ran over to her.

"Evie!" Clary called out.

Instead of looking at a short red-head, she was greeted with a huge spider, that swung from a large, broken branch. Only it wasn't just any spider. Before her, was a Kuri demon. Arachnid in shape, yet it had razor sharp fangs that jutted out monstrously from where its eyes should be. Bile rose in Evie's throat. She was an arachnophobe.

Isabelle pulled Clary back. "Eve, don't move." Izzy advised. Using its long legs, the Kuri jumped down, right in front of Evie. The demon, was massive; almost 4 ft tall.

"Uh...I think she should move?" Clary spoke up. Her luminous green eyes widened at the sight of the monster. "Possibly, run?"

"Shut up, I've got it!" As the demon, Eve unsheathed her seraph blade. The two girls took a few steps back, readying themselves. "Lailah." Her blade shone into action.

Although terrified, Evie stepped forward and struck. One of the demon's legs was severed from its body, leaving seven more to go. The Kuri writhed and spasmed, its ear-piercing squeal escaping from inside of it. Evie winced at the sound, her step faltering significantly. Nevertheless, she attacked once more. In one fluid motion, the Kuri's body collapsed in two. No more than a second later, the demon vanished.

She dropped to the ground in sudden exhaustion. She'd always hated spiders. Ever since she was a little girl, arachnids have never failed to fill her with affright. From the time one crawled onto her while she slept to when an deadly one paralysed her. Izzy and Clary ran over.

"Evie? You okay?" Isabelle asked. Black eyes that were filled with tears stared up at Izzy. "I guess not."

Clary crouched down beside her friend and gave her a bottle of water. Despite what Evie had just encountered, she took the bottle and took a quick sip. "Yeah," her voice was hoarse. "I'm fine."

She stood up and tied her long black hair back. "Come on, what are you waiting for?" Clary and Isabelle shared a look of discomfort. A blank expression clouded Evie's soft features. "We have a ton more demons to kill."