Chapter 3

My first day at Southview High School is tomorrow, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous as hell. It's never been hard for me to make friends or fit in, but that doesn't stop me from worrying about what the next year of my life is going to be like. I've already decided to start fresh and not tell anyone why I'm really here; I don't need their pity. I just need to get through this year so I can get off to college and really start my life.

Anne and Harry have been moved in for a week now, but it really only feels like Anne has. Harry has hardly been here, except for when he stumbles in at godly hours of the night and sleeps until late afternoon only to shower and leave again. I badly want to know what he's doing, where he's going, but I don't think he wants me asking. I also have a feeling he's hiding just as much as I am, like maybe there's a valid reason for why he puts on such a tough façade. I can't blame him, I've done the same since Mom died, but at least I'm not a bitch to everyone.

Laying the dress and shoes that I've picked to wear tomorrow out on my bed, I hear the front door slam and talking downstairs. I make out the voices and decide it's Dad and Harry, but I can't understand what they're saying. I try to listen, but it's a lost cause. They only talk for a minute or so, then I hear Harry stomp up the stairs and slam the door to his room across the hall shut. Even though tomorrow is our first day at school, I'm surprised he's home so early.

Next, I hear a knock at my door and Dad walks in with a soft smile. "Hey kiddo, you ready for your first day?"

"Ready as I'll ever be." I force a smile.

"You'll do great. I know it's going to be different going to a public high school, but at least you already know someone." Yeah, because knowing Harry is going to help.

"Yeah, it'll just be hard to get used to." I shrug and continue to fold some laundry before tucking into my dresser.

Dad fidgets with his hands for a second before looking back up at me. "Well, I'm sure you want to get to bed soon, but I wanted to show you something."

"What is it?"

"Come here," He smiles and starts walking out of my room.

I follow him apprehensively down the stairs, through the kitchen and out the door to the garage.

"I have to leave for work pretty early tomorrow, so I wanted to give you this now." He beams and holds a set of keys in front of me. "I thought you might be needing a way to get to school."

I gasp when I see the silver Mercedes Benz sitting in it's own stall of the garage. Is he serious?

"Do you like it?" He smiles with a glimmer of hope in his eyes as he waits for my answer.

"Dad... I can't drive that..." Holy shit! I can't believe he bought me that car.

"Sure you can. And you need to get to school somehow."

"Well why couldn't you just get me like a used car? Or I can take the bus?" I suddenly feel guilty for him spending so much money on me. A terrible thought sweeps through me... He isn't trying to buy his way back in my life... is he?

"Because this car is much safer. Avery, just think of it as a gift. I wanted to get this for you."

"Dad... It's too much, really."

"You'll make your old man upset if you don't accept this. It's okay sweetheart. I make enough, and now I finally have someone I can spend my money on."

"Why don't you give it to Harry then?" I say a little harsher than intended.

"Harry isn't my daughter." He laughs a little. "And anyway, if I had offered to get him a car, he would still ride that damn motorcycle..."