Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight~

The next week passed by quickly. Paige never mentioned what she found out about Haven, and Dean never told the purple-haired girl. Everything was something like normal. Fearing the wrath of the two females, Charles stayed away from their group when Paige was there. Ivy told her that the dark haired boy was often found asking about her when Haven, Dean or Paige herself wasn't anywhere to be found.

The complicated group dynamics seemed to make more sense as time went on. The other girls were somewhat closer than the guys were, but Paige got to know them too. Zevi was happy all the time, but if someone hurt his friends he went murderous. Oliver was quiet because his mother had died a year or so before. Shane didn't like relationships, much to Charlotte's regret. Nate was much like Zevi, happy but protective, except much more shy and reserved. Axel was a recreational drug user, a dealer too, but he never sold to newbies, only people who were already hooked.

Sometimes the brunette felt out of place. When old inside jokes were referenced, when well-known old history was brought up Paige became hyperaware of how new she was to these people and their stories. Still, she thought she might be becoming part of their group, at least in small ways. She was included in group activities, the others would text her randomly and talk with her for hours. It was nice, being part of a group again.

The best part was that they didn't judge her. Sure, Paige still found herself stealing things but they didn't mind when she returned little things she had stolen from their rooms or houses. Most of the time they laughed it off and asked her to tell the story of how she had managed to steal it without anyone noticing. In the same way, Paige didn't care about the smoking or the drinking or the drugs the others did, tried to keep herself from judging the bad relationships Elegy found herself in, didn't ask about the bad days or the times when they broke down and started to cry.

And throughout it all, Paige found herself wondering what she was going to do. She didn't think she could betray these people, didn't think she could hurt them after everything. But then again, she missed her old friends and her old life. Besides, everything would be so much worse if she didn't play Sadie's game. Paige knew she was selfish and scared, she always had been. But she wanted to change, she wanted to be a good person for once.

It was during one of her many late-night wanders around her house when Paige realized that her internal conflict was much more obvious than she thought. She had walked into her kitchen, expecting to be alone, only to see her father sitting at the table. Hearing her enter, Ian Ryan looked up. “Paige,” he started slowly. “You know, I think I like these friends more than the other ones. You're happy now.”

“I was happy before,” Paige defended herself, crossing her arms and leaning against the wall. She crossed a leg over the other and sighed.

“No you weren't,” her father shook his head sadly. “You think we don't notice these things? Think we didn't notice you shrinking into yourself? Because we did, we saw it and we couldn't do anything. Now you're happier.”

“You don't know anything about me,” Paige snapped. “You're always at the office, always worried about other people's problems more than your family's.” A flash of pain crossed her father's face but Paige didn't stop. She remembered what Elegy had said and continued. “And what's worse is I don't know a damn thing about you either. All I have is stories you're too afraid to tell me.”

“You know what, maybe you're right. But all we ever wanted was for you to be happy. Do you really want to hear stories about our past? Stories about death and anger and violence and mistakes? You don't, Paige. And maybe you should consider the idea that we never told you because we didn't want you ever understand that kind of pain.”

Paige frowned, trying to understand. “You didn't tell me... because you didn't want me to understand what that was like? You realize that doesn't even make sense, right? You and Mom never do, you're too busy whispering about nooses and knives to listen to me. And you're almost always gone anyways. Are other people's problems so much more important to the life we have here?”

“You'll understand some day.” Paige left before her father could finish whatever he was going to stay. Before she was out of hearing range he yelled “And if they were your real friends they wouldn't be doing this to you.” The brunette froze at that, wondering how he could have possibly known to say that. She pushed it aside and walked into her room, slamming the door and jumping onto her bed.

Shaking, Paige started to cry. She knew that parents were supposed to be there for you, supposed to support you. Her's, though... A distant mother and a workaholic father who thought he knew anything. Haven's story came back, a dead father and alcoholic mother... Some people had it worse, she knew. But that didn't change what she had.

With shaking fingers she grabbed her phone and scrolled through her contacts, wondering who she could turn to, who she could ask for help. Haven wouldn't work, Dean would be asleep. Elegy was so distant, Charlotte and Shane to loud. Zevi and Oliver had good families, they wouldn't get it. Axel would be a million miles away, having tea with martians. Viv wouldn't care enough. And her last option... Well, he was worse than the rest of them combined.

With shaking fingers, Paige picked his contacts and listened to it ring and ring. Just before she gave up, he answered it, confused. Taking a deep breath, she calmed herself down enough to ask. “What's your story? Why are you like this?” The line was silent and Paige wondered if she had went too far.

“It's a long story so get comfortable, Little Red.” And so Paige did, waiting for Charles to explain.