Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen~

“Well, well, well. Little Red, look at this. You're sneaking out of your house to meet up with the big bad wolf. Aren't you afraid I'm going to bite?” Charles stayed a few feet away from Paige, smirk on his face as he spoke.

“I don't like being controlled. And I want answers. So let's make a deal.” Paige kept her voice cool, reminding herself she was in control. She was not going to be a victim.

“A deal? Well, that's unexpected. What do you want? And what will you do for me?” Charles took a seat on the bench. Paige hesitated but sat next to him after a moment. The park was deserted. Of course it was three in the morning.

“I want answers. I want to know what happened to Elegy. I want to know what you want with me. And as for what I'll give you... well what do you want?” Paige took a deep breath, reminding herself that she had the power here.

“What do I want? That's a dangerous way to bargain Little Red. I know you'll do anything. You're desperate for answers, aren't you? Well, lucky for you, my conditions are simple. I want a date. Dinner date, I'll take you out, buy you a nice little dinner and you'll talk to me.”

Paige took a deep breath, “Haven won't let me out of her sight for that long. Double date with a couple of our friends for the answers.”

“And who would be doubling with us? Maybe Ivy and a guy of her choice? Or little Elegy...” Charles grabbed Paige's hand but she didn't pull away.

“Haven won't trust them...” She trailed off slowly, knowing she'd have to agree sooner or later.

“Then have her come. Have her bring Ivy.”

“But Haven's asexual!” Paige protested, lacing her fingers with Charles' for some reason she couldn't understand.

“There's a difference between asexual and aromantic, lovely. Haven doesn't want a sexual relationship. She could have a romantic relationship, she's just scared to get attached. Besides, she'll do anything to keep you from my clutches. Have her go with Ivy, she likes everyone.”

Paige digested that new information. She knew Ivy was pansexual and vaguely understood that meant she would like anyone. She had always assumed Haven wouldn't be in any sort of relationship, assumed that's what asexual meant. “Why are you so hung up on Ivy coming? Have a crush?”

“Hardly,” Charles snorted. “Ivy actually likes me. Forgive me for wanting one person on my side.”

“I like you.” The words slipped out before she could stop them. Blushing darkly, Paige tried to duck her head but Charles stopped her, lifting her chin up with gentle fingers.

“You do now? That's new... Well here's my proposition for you: I tell you what I want with you, I tell you what happened with Elegy and I'll tell you why Ivy likes me despite all of this. In return, you go on a double date with me and you spend the night at my house. I promise I won't touch you. And before you protest, that's my only offer. Take it or leave it.”

Paige froze, taking his words in. She knew he was correct, she'd do anything for those answers. “You have to swear you won't do anything to me.” She said instead of protesting.

“Of course my darling Little Red. I told you, I want you to want it. And you will.” Charles leaned in, brushing his lips across her own for a fraction of a second before pulling away. “Friday we'll have our date. You'll come over after and then I'll explain everything and you'll spend the night.”

“No,” Paige protested. “I want one answer now. That way even if you do refuse to answer anything after, I'll at least have one answer.”

Charles smirked, pulling Paige closer. “Deal. Now, what I want with you... well that's simple, isn't it? I like you, Little Red. You're beautiful and I want you to be mine. I have a weakness for pretty things and I'm rather possessive... Besides, I like watching Haven squirm. Besides that, you're interesting. You fight me. I like having power over people but I like a challenge more. You, Paige Ryan, make a gorgeous challenge.”

“Oh,” Paige took in what he said, shaking slightly. She couldn't understand Charles. She knew he was dangerous but... He made no sense. No sense at all. Maybe that was a side fact of him being unbalanced. “I have to- I have to go...”

“Goodnight Little Red. Be careful,” Charles breathed, pulling her in for a soft, sweet kiss. She kissed him back after a moment, eyes wide. For once, he wasn't forcing her. Wasn't taunting her. She thought she liked that. After a moment he pulled away, eyes sparkling.

“G-goodnight Charles...” Paige stuttered as she stood up and ran, trying to escape the feelings clashing inside of herself. When she got home, she was surprised to see the lights already on. Ready for conflict, she slipped inside the front door. As she crept up to her room, she expected angry parents but found none.

As she passed the door to the den, she heard voices and stopped dead in her tracks. She knew those voices. One of them was her father. The other... Well, it couldn't be. That would be wrong. Curiosity taking over, Paige peered inside. Sure enough, there was a familiar boy with dark hair sitting across from her father, shaking. His arm was wrapped up in gauze, stained with blood. He was shaking. Before she could stop herself, a name slipped from her lips. “Zevi?”

“Paige?” Zevi turned around and frowned. Her father said nothing, just sat there with a sad look in his eyes.

“What are you doing here?” Paige asked, surprised.

“I needed help and uh your dad... Well yeah.” Zevi stumbled over the words but Paige understood. Zevi was one of her father's patients.

“But he doesn't do house visits...” She muttered, confused. “And you were always so happy...”

“Zevi was a special case. He relapsed, badly. His father had EMC training and bandaged up his arm, the cuts weren't deep. Zevi called me and I told him to come over. I wanted to help. I hate it when they mutilate themselves...” Paige listened to her father, still confused. The cuts were self inflicted? Sweet, cheerful Zevi cut himself?

“A friend of mine, a girl named Vanity, she taught me that a bright smile and a cheerful act is enough to trick anyone and sometimes it's enough to make you forget things are bad,” Zevi explained.

“B-but....” Paige stuttered, confused. Zevi was one of her father's patients? He had cut himself up and asked for help? He faked his happiness because it helped him forget? She couldn't imagine the Zevi she knew being the same person as the fragile boy sitting in their den.

“A smile can hide a lot of things, Paige,” Zevi explained softly. The brunette had to agree.