Chapter 12

The aftermath..

Steve's POV

Facing the consequences after exposing Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D in public.
Most of the Agents blew all their covers and most of them were under investigation. Due to the chaos of Hydra brought to S.H.I.E.L.D, Fury was forced to move S.H.I.E.L.D into a small private facility with the help of Tony Stark. It's been eight months since Natasha left and it ain't the same without her. I haven't heard from her, I'm so worried about her.  I tried to reach her but she cut all her contacts.

I just had a mission with Agent 13. It was a success one. When we went back to the headquarters, we cross path with Tony Stark and Agent Coulson.
"Hey, hey old man!" He greets.
"Stark." I nodded.
"I'm hosting a party tomorrow at the Avengers tower. I know you're not a party goer but I still want you to come. You're an avenger." He murmurs.
I roll my eyes to Agent 13. Then I saw her smiling at me.
"What?" I whisper.
"You need a break cap." She whispers.
"She's right." Tony murmurs.
"I'll think about it."
He frowns.
"Is that a yes? --okay! See you tomorrow." He says as he left.
Agent 13 was still smiling.
"I said I'll think about it. I didn't say yes." I murmur.
"You should come though, have fun and get along with your new friends." She whispers.

We continue chatting til we got to the locker room. Then I ask her about Natasha.
"Still no news with Agent Romanoff?" I whisper.
She shrug her head. "Nope."
"It's been eight months." I mumble.
"What's with you two?" She asks.
I stare blankly at her. Trying to figure out what to say or how to say it.
"Okay... I get it. I know that looks." She murmurs.
"What do you mean?" I whisper.
"Is something happened in Germany?" She asks.
I gave her an expression that answers her question.
She raises an eyebrow.
"Have she done this before?" I asks.
"We've been to a lot of missions together. And I've seen her flirt."
"But what we have is different."
"I know... that's why when she blew all her covers she took advantage of it to escape from you."
"Whaaat? --whhy?"
"Attachments... commitments. --Look Cap! She's Natasha.. it's her thing. She's a spy what do you expect? She don't do relationships Cap!"
It all make sense now why she cut all her contacts. She left me hanging on. I'm so confuse and I've never been so confused. Is Natasha playing with my feelings? I dismiss it and try to keep my mind as blank as possible.
"Hope that will help. Have to go though... see you tomorrow." She added.
I nod in response. "Take care!"

It was late night and I kept thinking about what Agent 13 said. That thought keeps running to my head. I can't escape from it. Then I had this gut feeling that when she decided to come back she will be different. Oh Natasha, what have you done to me. I can't even escape her in my dreams.

Saturday evening. Stark hosted a party and I was invited. I was still at my apartment, all dressed up but having a second thought. Then I got a text from Sam Wilson saying that Natasha was at the party.

When I arrived at the Avengers tower, Sam Wilson greeted me. "Hey man! You got my text?"
I nod in my response.
I scan the room searching for Natasha.
Then I saw Stark walking towards me.
"You made it!" He says. Pathing my shoulder.
"You guys enjoy!" He handed me a drink then left.
"Where is she?" I asks
"At your 10 o'clock. Bar with Dr. Banner." He whispers.

I turn to my 10 o'clock and there I saw Natasha for the first time in eight months, she looks so different but still very beautiful

I turn to my 10 o'clock and there I saw Natasha for the first time in eight months, she looks so different but still very beautiful. She looks so happy.
Has she missed me? Has she think of me?
There's so much I wanted to ask from her.
I walk slowly towards her. She's talking and smiling with Dr. Banner. Oh no.. I know that smile. Is she flirting with Banner? Then she glances at me when she saw me coming, and she's twitching a fake smile at me. I never took my eyes off her.
"Hi." I whisper.
"Hello Rogers." She greets.
"Doctor." I nodded to Bruce Banner.
"Cap!" He says.
I glance back at her til our eyes lock.
Then there's an awkward silence.
Natasha took her drink and left us at the bar.
"Excuse me boys..." she murmurs.
She walk towards the elevator and left her empty glass at the table and went inside when the door opens. I walk fast and followed her. She was surprise to see me coming.
The door close, she glances up at me.
"Are you trying to get rid off me?" I asked.
"No...-- I was trying to get some fresh air." She whispers as she presses the roof top button.
"How are you?" I asked. Softly.
"Never been better."
"I haven't heard from you. Why?" I mumble
"Steve, that really is none of your concern." She murmurs.
"Whatever you do concerns me. I also need an explaination."
"Explaination?" She giggle.
"What's funny?"
Abruptly the doors open, and we're on the roof. She roll her eyes and walk towards the balcony.
"Natasha!"
"What do you want, Rogers?"
Her expression darkens.
I inhale sharply.
"I've waited for you." I whisper softly.
"I didn't ask you to." She raises an eyebrow.
"Why you act so different?"
"This is the real me Rogers."
"I don't buy that." I whisper.
Her expression hardens and she gave me a serious stare and she look deep into my eyes.
"Whatever happens in Germany stays in Germany. Let's forget about that and move on." She murmurs.
"I've waited for you in eight months and this is all I can get?" My voice is louder than I expected.
"I'm the person you don't want to end up with. Trust me. You deserves someone better than me." She whispers.
"Why are you doing this?" I asks. So desperate.
"You're a good man Rogers, and I'm a monster.. and you don't deserve a monster." She whispers.
Then she turn her back and tries to leave. When she's about to reach the elevator I drag her to the side, abruptly pushing her up against a wall. I grab her face between my hands, forcing her to look up into my determined eyes.
"Steve..." she whispers, her voice softer.
She close her eyes feeling my hands on her face.