Chapter 15

Natasha's POV

One afternoon Fury called to meet him at his office. He says it's urgent.
I was so busy texting Barton when I got inside the building.
I quickly glance at the elevator and the door was about to close.
I walk fast to catch it.
"Hold the elevator." I shouted.
I didn't realize that it was Steve til I saw him face to face. I didn't recognized him from a distance.
I guess it's because of his new uniform and a new haircut.
Wow! He looks amazing. He looks great! He's so handsome with his new haircut and he looks more hotter in his new uniform. I dismiss that thought and clear my head and went inside. I greeted him and he greets back. We haven't talk much after that.
When the door open, he usher me out.
I nod and smile.
While walking towards Fury's office I sense Steve walking behind me.
Is he stalking me?
I didn't realize that he's heading to Fury's office too. I assume he's following me. So I confronted him. But to my surprise, Fury also called him.
I roll my eyes as I open the door.
Gosh! That was so embarrassing.

Fury greeted us.
And we discuss our next mission.
I was so worried when Fury appointed me to be Rogers official team partner.
But despite of what happened to us I took it very profissionally.
It was so hard and awkward at first.

Steve glances at me.
Just one glance and he took me right back to that moment.
The hugs, the kisses, the sex and the break up, those torturious memories came back.

Time brought us back together.
And the time we were apart clearly made me realized how much I love him.
No matter how much I wanted a hug and a kiss from him. I control myself not to mess this thing again.

While on our way to our first destination, I secretly glance at Steve. He's so silent, so serious. Is he--- still mad at me or something? I want to talk but I can't open my mouth. So I just waited for him to talk first.
It took an hour though.
He talks to me and ask me how I'm doing but after that, it went back to silent mode again.
It's awkward actually. I can feel and he can feel the awkwardness.
So we decided not to talk til we arrive on our destination.

It was late night when we arrived in Russia. Yes-- Russia, our first destination. I can't believe I'm back in Russia again.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D's that are now base in Russia greeted us and escorted us to our car.
"I'm driving." Steve murmurs.
"Okay."
We both climb inside the car and drove away.
"Have you been here before?" I ask.
"Yeah I do--- during world war."
"Ohh okay."
"You hungry?" He glares.
"A bit... but I'm still cool."
"No... you should eat." He mutters.

We drove by to a nearby restaurant and we grab something to eat. Then after that we went back to the road.
While on the road I secretly glance at him.
He's so silent and so serious. Then he caught me.
"What?" He whispers.
"Nothing." I blushed.
"Why are you staring at me like that?" He asks.
"I've missed you... --I know these past few months have been... difficult." I swallow as I recall what happened at Stark's party.

"Nothing's changed though. We still can't be together." I added. I squeeze the words out past the lump in my throat.
"I know that. Once said is enough for me Natasha." He says, his voice emphatic.
"I'm sorry." I whisper, suddenly feeling stupid.
"Don't worry... I'm not planning of getting you back... --if that's what you want to hear." He glares and he doesn't smile.
God! That was terrible.
"Okay... that's good." I whisper quietly.
"Good." He mumbles.
"Steve?" I ask, softly.
"What?"
"I just want us to let that go and start over again... as friends?" I murmur.
"I still want us to be friends." I add quickly.
"Okay... I'd like that." He whispers

I know that he's still mad at me. After that conversation with Steve, he never talk to me. So we both focus on our mission.
We tracked down and defeated hydra in Russia. It was a success mission.
And after that, we ran too many operations together.

We explore together and develop a very strong and special bond. Our friendship.
I'm surprise to see the outcome of our friendship after what happened in Germany and how it ended.
I guess it's better this way than to be romantically involved with each other.