four

Sunlight leaked through the sides of the makeshift curtains of the homestead. Your eyes fluttered open to see Newt, who was fast asleep. His strong arms were wrapped around your back, making you feel safe and warm. Newt's eyes slowly opened and he stared down at you. You kissed his nose softly making a warm grin appear on Newt's face. You rest your head on his bare chest and wrapped your arms around his torso. The two of you stayed silent while Newt played with random strands of your hair and you traced his stomach lightly with your finger. For those few minutes, you had forgotten about everything that happened yesterday and everything that was going to happen today. Unfortunately, that peaceful moment was gone as quickly as it came when there was a knock at the door.

Both of you knew who it was and both of you knew what he was going to say. Newt gave you a long kiss on the forehead and he peeled away from your body. You missed him again, you missed how his arms felt around your back, making you feel like nothing could hurt you.

Newt swung open the door and, sure enough, Alby was standing there. Alby has a saddened look on his face as he looked down at Newt.

"You must get ready," he said, the way he spoke was different, his voice was a lot softer than usual.

"Thanks, mate," Newt muttered and shut the door slowly.

He turned to see you staring out the window longingly. He let out a soft sigh and climbed into the bed next to you again. He wrapped his arms around you protectively and kissed your forehead once again.

"I'm sorry," he muttered into your hair.

"Me too," you muttered back so quietly you're not sure that he heard you.

But you're not sure that you were apologising for the same thing. Newt was one of the gladers that were being forced to banish Ben. You had tried to ignore it for the past four days, now. You knew he had too. He was second in command. It was his job. You, on the other hand, were apologizing for how crazy you were yesterday. How you screamed at him from the top of your lungs. It was just purely embarrassing to think about how you acted yesterday.

"For what," Newt spoke after a few moments of silence.

"For acting like an insane slinthead," you said, sitting up and looking down at Newt who looked just so gorgeous laying there.

"Don't apologize, love. You were sleep deprived. You were upset. I get it," his voice trailed off and he lost your gaze. You knew what he was thinking about. He was thinking about the time when he had desperately wanted to leave the earth so badly, he wanted to kill himself.

You leant over him and put your face close to his own. You caught his gaze again and kissed his lips gently. As your lips parted he sighed and peeled back the covers and started to throw on his clothes and you did the same. Newt pulled you in for one last hug before you both walked out from your bedroom in the homestead and towards to doors of the maze.