nine

Your eyes fluttered open to see yourself lying in a bed that wasn't your own. You quickly adjusted to the surroundings and realised you were still in the medical compartment of the homestead. Your hand felt heavy like something was holding onto it. Slowly, you turned your head to the direction of where you felt your hand being held, your head in agonizing pain. You looked down to see Newt asleep on the ground next to you, clinging to your hand.

His caramel brown hair was brushed over his eyes and his head leant against the frame of the bed. You stared at his perfect face, happy to finally have a moment of just you two alone.

Suddenly, Newt's eyes fluttered open and a small smile appeared on his chin. Newt pulled himself up from the ground, not letting go of your hand and looked down at you. He stared at you for awhile and you stared back before he finally opened your mouth.

"You scared me so much last night," his voice was so quiet that you could barely hear anything he said.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry Newtie," you apologised, tears forming in your eyes.

He knelt down next to you and used his free hand to cup your face.

"I thought you tried to-" he stopped himself for saying anything else and looked away. Your heart instantly ached and you pulled his face back to face yours.

"I wouldn't leave you," you whispered, cupping your own hand upon his flustered face.

"After you ran off, I-I-I let you for an hour. Thought you needed space but then I went looking and I couldn't find you. I looked for hours and I still couldn't find you. I was so worried," his lips trembled with every word he spoke, making you feel guilty.

"I'm sorry, Newtie," you spoke. Newt didn't say anything he just buried his face in the crook of your neck, still not letting go of your hand.

"I thought I lost you," he whispered, his hot breath tickling your neck.

"Well you didn't and I'm going to keep it that way, okay?" You promised to the love of your life.

"My love, if you don't mind me asking. How did you get that?" He questioned, referring to the gash the spread across half of my forehead and the side of my face.

There was a long pause. A pause where you thought about Ben holding his decapitated arm in his other hand. Your hands began to shake when you remember what he said, 'you did this'. Newt noticed the panic in yours eyes and quickly squeezed your hand for comfort.

"I was in a tree and I 'saw' Ben, he was holding his decapitated arm and I just-" You stopped yourself as you burst into tears.

"Don't cry, baby," he whispered and kissed my hand that he was still clinging to.

Baby. It wasn't just a hallucination. He really did call you baby last night. And you just called you 'baby' again. It made butterflies swirl around your stomach. It made you feel something. Something like love.