five

Newt had to go and meet up with the other gladers so he hesitantly left me to walk to the doors alone. Thomas was leaning against the concrete walls, he was staring at the ground. As I neared him, he looked up with a sad smile on his face. Tears welled in my eyes as I stared at the bandage on his face. Thomas bit his lip, trying to conceal his tears but fails and they slip aimlessly down his cheek.

"I'm sorry, Y/N," he whispered, not daring to look towards you again.

You say nothing. You can't anything. It's not like you could say 'It's okay' because it most certainly wasn't. It was not fair that you were losing your best friend. What would Thomas do if Ne-. You didn't even want to think about the rest of the sentence. You turned away from the dark brunette. Then that's when you heard it. Ben's far too familiar cries of help.

"Don't do this! Please! I'll get better. Y/N! You can help me," he screamed but you didn't dare to look up at him. You shut your eyes tight, praying that this was all a dream and you would just wake up in Newt's arms.

You felt a hand on your back. You turned to see Newt standing there with a look of concern on his face. He quickly wrapped his arms around your waist and held you close to his chest. A wash of relief came over you as you realised you wouldn't have to watch your boyfriend kill your best friend. But you still felt streams of tears fall from your eyes and drench Newt's shirt.

"Please! Please!" Ben screamed as he got pushed closer to the walls.

Suddenly, something came over you. As you watch him helplessly fight back you felt as though it was your job to save him. I have to save him. I can save him, you thought. You ripped away from Newt's grip and ran towards your best friend. You tried with everything to push past the gladers that were holding the sticks towards him.

"Stop! No!" You screamed as they started pushing him faster into the maze doors.

Newt grabbed at your waist, trying to pull you away from the gladers but you did everything in your power to resist it.

"Let. Go. Of. Me!" You said between squirms but it was no use, Newt was strong and there was no way he was letting you go.

The concrete doors of the maze began to close and Ben began to scream louder. Panic washes over you as you watch the doors slowly close Ben into the maze.

"No! Be-Ben!" You screamed, tears pouring from your eyes as you tried once again to struggle free of Newt's grip.

The doors fully closed and Ben's screams were muffled. You legs gave in and you slightly fell. Tears of hysteria were streaming down your face as you slowly stopped struggling and just melted into Newt's body. His right hand held your face to his chest, trying to calm you down the best he could.

"Bring him ba-hack," you cried into Newt's chest. Newt doesn't say a word, he just focuses on rubbing your back soothingly.