Gym class

The first time I talked to her was during a high school soccer game. Liza and I were both high school seniors. We knew each other because we were in the same class but we never had a conversation before, until that day.

I started on the bench during a soccer game in gym class. If you've ever played soccer in gym class you already know how chaotic and stupid it can be, especially to those who are actual soccer players. I was on the same team as Liza however she had the opportunity to start the match. The game was 3-0 and of course, I was on the losing side.

At half time I was given instructions by my gym teacher that I'd be subbed in and was to play next to Liza up front as an advanced playmaker. Liza was on the soccer team, she was recognized as a great player by the girls she played alongside with. I didn't play school sports because they're a waste of time and I'd honestly much rather stay at home and play video games. Also, the kids on the boys team were massive douchebags. Nobody likes douchebags except other douchebags. I'm a decent player and I would have no trouble getting into the school soccer team, but no thanks.

As I was subbed in Liza welcomed me by saying "try not to get in my way sweetie." I simply nodded and responded with a "sure." Although, in my head I was like "who the hell does she think she is?" I immediately took the ball off some noob and made my way up the pitch. I took on several of my classmates and effortlessly scored. It was 3-1. Those in the sidelines started to cheer, Liza took notice. "Wow! You're pretty good!" Damn right I'm good, Liza. "Thanks!" I replied with a smile. Not a minute too soon and then Liza was the one trying to show off her skills. She was a really great player. I was in the state of awe as I saw her control the ball. I quickly snapped out of it as I received a pass from Liza. With that, I scored a tap in and made it 3-2. "Bet you liked that pass, huh?" Liza asked. "It was alright"

As minutes went by Liza and I continued to dominate possession. We both linked up well and honestly, we could have scored a lot more than we did that day. As I ran towards the goal, a classmate of mine lunged towards me witch a crunching tackle. Our gym teacher blew her whistle and indicated that a free kick was to be given. I jumped right up to show everyone that I was okay and that I was going to be taking the free kick. Liza playfully didn't approve but she went along with it I scored off the set piece and it was now 3-3. Hat trick.

Two minutes of added time were to be given. Liza and I wanted to go for the win. Pass pass, pass. We played some amazing soccer. We had a great chemistry and our plays were linking up beautifully. One, two, three defenders. I ran past them all. Thirty seconds left. The opposite team was parking the bus now. I needed to act fast. I was approaching the box, defenders were clipping at my heels. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Liza by herself. With hesitating, I passed her the ball and she tucked away beautifully.

We had won the game! It was only gym class but we were buzzing with excitement. After gym, Liza was out waiting for me. She said she was impressed by my skills and asked if I'd like to go kick with her after school. I agreed happily.

Since then, Liza and I have been going out and we both share our passion for soccer with each other. I owe it all to that wonderful day in gym class where I met my future girlfriend.