31: [Parallel Universe 4] Double Truce

The reactions could not have been better, and their plan could not have worked any better, either. They all believed them; believed what they saw. Their reactions were those of animals shocked into a state of paralysed panic. Harry and Draco had not exactly been chaste, either. Their original plan had been to 'accidentally kiss,' and it was going to be a little kiss, only lips-but the kiss they had engaged in had been one of desperation and insatiable lust with loads of tongue!

For almost twenty seconds they had stood there snogging away-until Hermione had screamed. Fortunately, they had had enough sense to return to their act rather than acting like the married couple they in actuality were, and Draco had shied away with an expression of utter disgust on his face. He pointed his wand at Harry, tried to say something, but just shook his head and Disapparated.

Harry had a hard time concealing his amusement at the blonde's behaviour, but managed to suppress it and spit out a few curses and mutter, "Fuck that Malfoy, he put some sort of spell on me, the fucking poof."

From what Sirius had told him, this world's Harry Potter was a rough-edged aggressor who cursed and made good use of dirty words, so he tried his best to sound harsher than he usually did. 'Fucking' was the best he could come up with; he knew no fouler words. He just hoped they would all buy it.

Hermione could not get over herself. She just kept staring at him with saucer-sized eyes and mouth hanging open dead-fish-style. Shaking badly, she pointed at him. "You ... you ... you ...!"

"'I ... I ... I!'" Harry said impatiently and very mockingly. "I what, Hermione? Come on, I haven't got all day!"

"You ... you ... you ... kissed ... Malfoy?"

Harry gave an irritated moan and rubbed his closed eyes with thumb and middle finger. "I know ... why the bloody Hell did I do that? I was just so angry with him, and he was calling me all sorts of names ... but all of a sudden I was just so drawn to him. I don't even understand it myself. But suddenly he was just so ... attractive. Sexy. Oh, God, am I going mad? Have I lost my last marbles now?"

She just kept staring at him.

He took a dark satisfaction from her nonplussed face.

The plan was turning out to be a major success.

Sirius put a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it fatherly. "Don't rack your brain about this, Harry," he advised. "It was just something that happened."

"Yeah, but I had my tongue in his mouth," Harry protested.

"Ugh," Hermione said with a grimace.

"Yeah!" Harry agreed emphatically. "Look, let's just forget about this whole thing and go back home, okay? This doesn't make any sense to me, and I'm really embarrassed ... I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone about this ..."

"Certainly not," Sirius promised, and Harry thought he saw the older man wink knowingly.

"'Course," Hermione said numbly.

Back at the Black house, Harry pretended to be nervous and absent-minded while simultaneously trying to keep track of everything that happened and everyone that came and went. He saw many people he knew but even more people he had never met before in his life. He was glad he was supposed to act confused right then, because if any of those people had started up a conversation with him, his cover would have been blown in a matter of seconds.