seven

chapter seven
"square dance"

"you never told me that this was a full-blown, knee slapping, cowboy boot wearing square dance!"

~

The weekend came fast, and Rachel found herself staring at herself in the mirror. Her hair was in two french braids, and on top was a cowboy hat that matched her custom boots. She straightened out her red plaid dress, and turned in the mirror to try and see what it would look like from the back.

She had to admit, even for her she looked stupid. But she mostly didn't care how she looked because she was too excited for her first performance with the Sopranos. She smoothed out her dress one last time when she heard a knock at the door downstairs. "I'm coming!" she yelled, as sort of a reminder to her dads that she wanted to answer the door, and that they should get lost. Rachel raced down the stairs and pulled open the front door. There was Maddie, who was also wearing a red plaid dress, but one that was different than Rachel's. Behind Maddie stood Blaine and Kurt, looking unlike they have ever looked before. Both of them were wearing plain blue jeans and cowboy boots. Rachel couldn't stop herself from laughing and she excitedly said "Look at you guys!"

Kurt shirt her a glare, "One peep from you and I'm gone."

Rachel tried to control her giggled as she said "Okay, okay. Let's go, I don't want to be late!"

The gang piled into Rachel's car and Rachel played her playlist of show tunes for the car ride there. It was quite the drive from Rachel's neighborhood, but she didn't mind as her friends were there to entertain her.

"I cannot even believe you got me to go to this!" Kurt rolled his eyes.

Blaine laughed and eyed Kurt's outfit, "And I can't believe you agreed to come wearing that."

Kurt scowled at Blaine as Maddie and Rachel laughed from the front seat. "Well at least I'm not the only one who looks dumb." He said, raising an eyebrow.

Rachel rolled her eyes purposefully in the rear view mirror, "Oh can it Kurt! I think we look cute!"

"Rachel, I love you," Kurt started, and Rachel knew she was about to get burned, "But you think this look is cute because you have the same fashion sense as Dorothy Gale." he insulted playfully.

Rachel laughed and Maddie came to her defense, "Hey, don't even try to act like the red ruby slippers aren't a fashion statement!"

"Oh touche Madeline."

The rest of the car ride was filled with banter and belting, and it had only felt like fifteen minutes had passed instead of the hour it was supposed to take. Rachel pulled in to the parking lot that was more just a large patch of dirt outside of a barn. She parked next to Vivian's car and grabbed her cowboy hate before exiting the car and locking it behind her. Loud noise could be heard coming from the barn, and the four made their way to the golden light shining out from the barn door.