SCROLLING THROUGH UNREAD messages, I came upon a message from Josh that he sent just a few minutes ago. Frowning, I opened it and quickly read through his short text.

Picking you up in 20.

Gnawing on my bottom lip, my thumbs hovered above the keyboard. The original plan was for Josh to bring me to Prom. He offered after I turned him down to go as dates. I felt terrible and hadn't anticipated such a turn of events back then.

Footsteps padded up the stairs to my bedroom. My lips were painted crimson, my eyes smokey with liner along my eyelids. Thinking of what to reply to Josh, warmth spread through my back as a large male came up behind me, wrapping their arms around my waist.

"I'm about to go put on my suit. Do you need any-"

The muscles at my back tensed as Zeke read over my shoulder. A growl ripped from his throat, vibrating his chest. "Fuck no," he hissed, voice rich with venom.

Another pair of footsteps hauled up the stairs. I turned in Zeke's tight embrace as Evan came around the corner with a worried expression. "What happened?"

Another growl poured from the Hybrid. I patted his chest with a roll of my eyes. "He's overreacting."

"Apparently, our little friend–" Zeke spat. "Had planned on taking Celeste to Prom tonight."

Evan's expression flattened, then quickly morphed into one of great amusement. He snorted, choking on his own saliva while he burst into a fit of laughter. With a shake of his head, he waved the Hybrid off. "Well, now he's not, so no big deal." He shrugged. My shoulders loosened.

Thank Grandpa for Evan.

But Zeke wasn't listening, his eyes flitting from me to the text lit up on my phone screen. "Stay away from him," he growled, eyes bright amber with gold and crimson lining his irises. If I weren't so frustrated, I'd stare in awe and appreciation.

Frowning, I stuck my finger out and poked the hot head in the chest. "You don't get to tell me what to do," I snapped. Wrenching myself from his arms, I turned and walked around him. I went to head out the bedroom door, but his hand gently caught my wrist and pulled me back into his chest.

I huffed, but the frustration ebbed as Zeke wrapped his arms back around me, holding me tightly as if he were to let me go; I'd slip away forever. Evan was no longer anywhere in sight, probably giving us some privacy as Zeke tucked his nose in the crook of my neck.

"I'm sorry," he murmured into my hair, his words shaken.

After another moment's pause, I gave in, wrapped my arms around his waist, and rested my cheek against his chest and shoulder.

"I don't trust him," Zeke told me, pulling away slightly and locking our gazes with a soft caress of his grey eyes. "He's not who you think he is, and he's sure as hell not an innocent human."

I frowned, my brows furrowing. "Then what is he?"

"He's a Hellhound. He has no pack, he's on his own agenda, and that means he's dangerous."

I tried to mask the shock that overtook me, but by the frown marring Zeke's expression, it was safe to say I had failed.

"How couldn't I sense him?" I whispered, eyes downcast as I lost myself in all of our encounters. "I should've been able to; I'm still reeling that I couldn't with any of you, either."

Zeke's angered eyes morphed into ones of amusement. "We made sure no one could. Don't feel too bad."

My brows furrowed. "How?"