ⅩⅩ

ZEKE FLEW TO my side, tucking me under his arm, growling at the Demon Prince. Evan crossed his arms over his chest as his body stilled. Noah came around the couch and blocked me from Asmodeus' view with his body.

Awe, they're so adorable when they're trying to protect me.

Calling forth my power, I let it trickle to my fingertips and tapped Zeke's arm. My mate jumped with a hiss as I electrocuted him, his arms loosening from around my waist. It gave me the leverage I needed to slip from his reach, speed past Noah, and face Asmodeus at the doorway next to Evan.

The Celestial shook his head with a snicker, his lips curving as he took a small step back. Enough to give me the lead, but not enough to let me slip through and catch him off guard.

Asmodeus grinned at me, but the light expression on the demon's face fell as soon as it lifted. "We need to talk." I didn't hesitate to nod.

There was no tick in the back of my mind telling me to stay away from him as there had been at first. Asmodeus may have been the leading cause of our crash, but I could tell he wanted me to win this war just as much as I did. After all, the demon prince did get me out of near literal Hell last night. Looking at him now, as I stepped out of the cabin, I knew there was something else. Or maybe, someone that had him interfering more than he knew he should.

The boys behind me swore under their breaths, well, besides Evan, knowing they couldn't stop me. Agitation, apprehension, and worry seeped through the bonds, even Evan's. He was just better at hiding– less macho– calmer in the fits of chaos. I knew they'd be watching, Zeke especially, and that would be enough for me. They always had my back. I just prayed I was strong enough to have theirs when the time came.

Standing in the shadow of the porch above us, Asmodeus avoided my eyes as he gazed out on the lake. He leaned against one of the wooden beams, his chest slowly moving along with the smooth rhythm of his breathing.

After a moment, I spoke. "I never got the chance to thank you for what you did for me– so thank you," I pushed out. Asmodeus had pulled me from a dark place, one I never wanted to return to, and brought me back by reminding me of the things and the people I was fighting for. Clearing my throat, I asked him, "Why are you here, Asmodeus?"

His magenta eyes flickered to my gaze, then back out to the water. "You've Soul Bonded with them," he noted. I nodded quietly, not understanding why he was bringing it up. "That's important," Asmodeus said after a moment.

My eyebrows furrowed. "Why?"

This time the demon met my gaze. "They make you stronger, and you– them."

That I could understand. Kind of. But my curiosity still wasn't sated. "How so?" I walked to the beam across from him. Leaning against it, I glanced out to the water, then back to him.

"You don't know much, do you?" he asked. I refused to answer a question he already knew the answer to. Asmodeus sighed. "Fair enough. A Soulbond, which can only be created between two Purebreds, can be dangerous because it makes the pair, or group stronger. In Hell, it is deeply frowned upon to create a Soulbond without the permission of the King himself."

I snorted but quickly covered it with a cough. "But why?"

"Only very strong Purebreds of different species can survive the Soul Bond. Hell, I doubted even one of your Archangel buddies could survive the bond. Once- hold on," he paused, eyeing me. "Did you receive the mark yet?"

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess he's talking about the tattoo. "The tattoo?"

Asmodeus sucked in a deep breath. "When did you get it?"