ⅩⅤ

THE CRISP WIND kissed my skin, decorating my body with goosebumps from the frigid air. It breezed through my hair, the strands dancing along with the flow of the wind. I smiled to myself, gazing up at the moon. The dusty grey surface was half visible but still gave off enough light to see through the start of the night.

My bare feet brushed against the cool grass as I treaded deeper into the forest. I let my limbs take me wherever they wished, regardless of the intended destination. Crickets whistled through the cool night air, singing their beautiful song.

As I continued to walk deeper through the dark green forest, I took a deep breath, inhaling the fresh, clean atmosphere. It greedily took residence in my lungs, cooling my warm body. This place was peaceful, welcoming guests that passed through with a curious glance. It was an unspoken rule: we won't bother you if you don't bother us. I loved it, and part of me wished I could stay here forever.

A steady stream of water trickled in the distance, capturing my attention. I smiled warmly. With a mind of their own, my feet led me to the source of the fresh river spout. The moon led the way with its light, guiding me exactly where I wanted to go. Like it knew.

It was one of my favorite, sacred places since those moments I'd shared with Zeke. It was something I'd never forget. My heart warmed at the memories.

Hiking up the small hill, passing through the barrier of trees, I spotted the waterfall pouring from the river into the small water pool. The waterfall crashed down on the pool, meeting at the other end.

As my gaze flickered from the waterfall to the pool, it followed the trail of water until I could no longer see its pathway into the dark forest. Curiosity nagged at me, hopping down toward the riverbank, telling me to follow the river. The moonlight didn't reach that far, basked in darkness, and a shiver trailed up my spine as I trekked deeper.

Wanting to ease my curiosity, I took tentative steps into the darkened area. When my body was encased in the darkness, a hand latched onto my wrist in a deadly grip. I gasped, halting my movements, and spun around to face the person behind the hold.

My gaze was met with a pair of silver eyes, haloed in gold. Dark circles blanketed his half-hooded eyelids, his skin pale. I would have sworn he was dying if he didn't have such a death grip on my wrist. It shattered my beating heart.

"Zeke?" I whispered. He blinked several times as if trying to stay awake, swaying on his unsteady feet.

"Don't go." His voice came out hoarse as if he had been swallowing nails.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Wha-what do you mean?" My voice hitched. "I'm not going anywhere." I turned my body, so I was facing him completely.

"Don't go," Zeke said again, his voice strained. I took a step toward him, wanting to touch him, soothe him. But when I moved toward him, he rapidly took a step back, tripping over his feet and crashing onto the ground beneath him.

"Zeke!" I cried, reaching for him, but he backed up on his hands, scrambling to get away from me. There was fear lit up in his eyes that rooted me to the spot. It was like he was scared of me. I was barely breathing, worried I'd somehow scare him away. "Zeke?" I murmured, swallowing the heavy lump in my throat.

He shook his head slowly, his pale blue lips parting as he breathed heavily. Tears pricked my eyes as I stared at him, at the boy I fell in love with. He was afraid of me, of what I was, and it was my biggest fear come true.

Movement behind Zeke caught my eye. Looking over his shoulder, Evan sat at the base of the hill, against one of the trees that made a makeshift wall. He was picking at the grass, tearing it from the ground in resentful movements.

"Evan?" I called, worry for my friend etched in my vocal cords.

At the sound of his name, Evan's head snapped up and met my gaze with an irked expression. His face was sunken in, his skin sickly white. He continued to pull at the grass, his nose flaring as he looked at me. My eyes trailed down his chest in horror, a flush of thick red liquid pouring from a gaping wound at his side.

"Evan, you're bleeding," I gasped.

I made a move for him, but he held up his hand. Bowing his head, he shook it with angered despair. "This is your fault," he growled. His head rose, my heart shattering when I gazed upon the lone tear streaming down his cheek. I took another step forward, itching to help him seal the wound, but his sharp word stopped me. "Don't!" He snapped. His once bright blue eyes were dark and wide with fury, a snarl curling his lips.

"You're too late," a voice murmured. Glancing to the right, I spotted Noah. He was standing against a tree with his arms crossed and a cocky grin on his face. But not a single emotion reached his eyes. His eye sockets were sunken in, gaze haloed in their signature Hellhound red.

"Noah?" I called, hesitant.

My best friend shook his head slowly, as if in disbelief. "It's your fault," he said, echoing Evan's accusation. The words flew from his mouth with ease, like the indictment was the easiest thing in the world to say.

Like they were true.

"What?" I whispered, wringing my hands together in front of me. I blinked rapidly, tears blurring my vision.

A sharp voice from my left briefly snatched my attention from the boys. "What? You didn't hear him the first time?" Morgan snapped. Her hands were on her hips, her eyebrow raised with annoyance and doubt. "This," she gestured to the boys and then herself. Blood started to pour from her nose and mouth. "Is all your fault," she growled, nearly choking from the thick liquid in her mouth.

My mouth parted, horrified as Morgan's turquoise eyes rolled to the back of her head seconds later. Her body limply fell to the ground with a thud. Her head cracked upon impact. I winced at each snap and break of bone as she hit the ground.

I gasped, tearing my eyes away from Morgan's dead body. Swallowing, tears streamed down my jaw as I looked back at the boys.

A scream tore from my lips as my eyes landed on each of them. They all lay against the cold ground, eyes open and lifeless as they stared up into the night sky. Noah's body was hallowed as if the life had been sucked right out of it. Evan's body was pale and deathly white, blood pooling around his dead body from his wound.

Zeke was lying similar to Evan, but there was a literal hole in his chest where his heart should have been. I whimpered, following the blood trail that skated down his arm, only to find his pulsing bleeding heart clutched in his hand. It looked as if he was reaching out, offering his heart to me, willingly killing himself in the process.

I fell to my knees, my head tipping back. I screamed for the loss; screamed at the world; screamed for their death; for my boys– my family. I had even screamed for Morgan. Sobs trembled through my body as my heart broke and shattered into shards and pieces, exploding into nothingness at each of their feet with no one left to pick up the pieces.

They were all dead, and it was all my fault.

yikes.

Much Love, Em
xoxo

Much Love, Emxoxo