ⅩⅩⅣ

ZEKE

A THUNDEROUS CRACK of lightning split the sky, shattering any hope of a civil resolution. The wind stirred the trees above, dancing with everything that was dark and light as it encircled us. With our eyes forward and bodies poised, we were ready to defend at any given moment.

The blood running through my veins bled black, showcasing itself through my veins and the unrelenting power that sparked and sizzled within me. The stir of my Hybrid rattled within. The monster chained inside was begging to break free as my new black and white wings sprung from my back.

Celeste stood up front, her wings flaring out from her shoulder blades in breath-taking feathered beauty. Her eyes burned a molten gold and specked with black Black, and purple bolts of lightning kissed her skin. The pure power that radiated from my mate rooted me in place.

Noah and I stood at either side of her while the others had our six. Noah's eyes were illuminating a powerful crimson red. His canines were lengthened, poking his bottom lip while furth rippled the length of his arms. Bragden, Axel, Morgan, and Hardin matched his demeanor, the boys shirtless and Morgan in a sports bra. All were dressed in athletic shorts, prepared to shift whenever necessary.

Hannah and Charlie stood behind them, hands fisted with demonic smokey swirls of heat and fire cusped their fingers. Evan and Maddie brought up the rear, eyes glowing a magnificent pure Celestial blue. Wings sprouted from each of their backs, ready to take to the skies at any given moment.

Smoke seemed to radiate from Celeste's skin as the power surging within her increased tenfold. She was losing patience, and if something didn't happen soon, her eyes would turn into black pits like her father's, and she would lose herself to the Hybrid within.

The air began spiraling out of control. Trees bowed and broke at the roots. Each crash that pounded against the forest floor behind us vibrated the quaking ground beneath our feet. None of us flinched, even as the sun disappeared completely, while the ruptured and snapped branches hung in the air.

I wanted to reach out and touch Celeste to calm her. We all knew, however, that we needed some of that darkness to come out and play if we wanted to survive. So I held back, no matter how many times my hands would twitch, aching to reach out to touch her.

Clapping in the distance caught everyone's attention, our bodies on high alert as a dark figure materialized in the distance. A low vibration of power went through my chest, parting my lips in an unholy growl as the figure continued to walk forward.

His footsteps paused when he was a hundred feet from us. The black smoke licking at his tux acting as a deadly poison. He wore all black, the only color coming from his blood-colored pupils in the depths of his black eyes. They burned a horrifying hole in the back of my mind. I snarled, stepping forward, so I was in line with Celeste.

Death's gaze flickered to me, a grin placed firmly upon his lips, then switched to the girl next to me. "Hello, Daughter."

Celeste snarled, a bolt of lightning snapping through the sky and tearing a crater in the ground between Death and us. "Fuck you."

That's my girl. I smirked to myself.

I could taste Celeste's power as it thrummed through me, just as mine did for her, Noah, and Evan. It fueled us, empowering us to our max capacity. Every fiber in our beings was pulsing in exhilaration, pleading to be released.

Death snickered. "Not bad, Daughter. But your power is nothing when compared to mine," he growled.

Celeste's golden eyes churned, molding in a dark gold as the black further infused itself in her irises. "We'll see about that," she murmured, snapping her head back as she opened up her arms.