Chapter Three

I dreamed about the alley again. I dreamed about the iron gate that blocked the exit on my left. I turned to the right and continued my way to the other exit. I carefully stepped over trash on the ground. As I scoured the ground with my eyes, I noticed half cigarette butts lying besides the trash. I trailed my fingers on the wall. When the wall ended I looked up. The tall man was standing in front of me. This time his face wasn't blank, it looked like Billy's.

Amelia woke up confused. The nightmare had been the same for a very long time. The new detail of the cigarettes was strange, but seeing Billy's face appear was just extremely disturbing. She rubbed her face with her hands, trying to shake off the bad dream she had. 

Amelia looked to the nightstand and read the clock. 7:13. She slipped out of bed and pulled open her closet. This time she put on her cheerleaders outfit, as it was team practice today. She was looking forward to experience unity as one team, especially the joy she felt as she would be thrown in the air. 

There were only two boys on the team. One guy was named Lucas, who happened to be gay. The other guy only joined to support his girlfriend as she was a part of our team. Both boys were kinda strong, which certainly came in handy. 

After Amelia put on her outfit, she went to the bathroom. She washed her face with cold water and looked at herself in the mirror. Big, green eyes stared back at her. Amelia brushed her wavy, brown hair and wrapped it up in a high bun. She used concealer under her eyes and covered up some of the freckles on her face with powder. Afterwards she smeared some lipgloss on her lips and felt satisfied with the final result.

The morning went the same as always. She woke up Cora and made sure she got fully dressed. Today Amelia decided to dress her in a big, red dress with white stockings and black shoes. Afterwards they went downstairs and sat down at the kitchen table, waiting for their mom to prepare breakfast. Her stepfather drank from his coffee while reading the newspaper. 

Amelia stared at him, trying to figure out what was going on inside his brainless head. John worked in Hawkins Lab, as some kind of doctor. Amelia really had no idea what he was doing exactly, he hardly mentioned anything about his job. Not that she truly cared. 

Last year the lab received a lot of backlash from what had happened, regarding Barbara. Amelia hardly knew the girl, it was only after her disappearance that she had started talking to Jonathan and the others. 

Amelia swifted her eyes from her stepfather to her mother who was making breakfast as usual. To this day Amelia still don't understand why those two were together. Sometimes a wave of sadness crashes over her when she thought about her biological father. Yet again, she couldn't understand why he had left them behind which made her feel angry. 

When Amelia's mom announced that they would move in with John and his son, Amelia had became furious. She didn't want a new dad and she surely didn't want to share a house with an older stepbrother. 

It turned out that her stepfather felt the same way as he didn't want her in his life at all. He often reminded her of that.

After Amelia had finished her breakfast she got up and waited for Benjamin in the living room. Her mom stood beside her as she placed her hand on Amelia's shoulder. "Sweetie, I forgot to tell you about our new neighbors. They moved in two days ago." Amelia looked up surprised. How come I haven't noticed?

"They live a few houses down the street. I'm going to stop by tonight to greet them, wanna come with me?" Amelia nodded approvingly. She wanted to know more about their new neigbors but Benjamin interrupted her thoughts as he rushed down the stairs with his backpack in one hand and the car keys in the other. "Let's go."