Chapter Five

Amelia and Sarah woke up around 10 a.m. in the morning. Sarah got herself dressed in the bathroom while Amelia put on a high waisted denim short with a red shirt. She brushed her wild hair and put it in a high ponytail. Afterwards the girls went downstairs and had some breakfast which consisted of old sandwiches and left over meat. "Where's your mom?" Sarah asked with her mouth full. "Probably in the park with Cora. They usually spent time together in the weekend so that I don't have to look after her." Amelia responded. Sarah knew better than to ask her friend questions about her stepfather. John was probably doing something extremely boring anyway, like fishing.

"So, how about we-" Amelia was in the middle of suggesting something they could to on their free Saturday when all of the sudden the doorbell rang. Surprised Amelia opened the front door and noticed Susan, Billy's stepmom standing on the porch with her daughter, Max by her side. "Hello." Amelia said expectantly. "Hey Amelia, I'm really sorry to bother you but could you look after Max for a few hours? My husband and I need to go somewhere and Max can't come along with us." Amelia looked down at Max who seemed quite agitated. "Sure, no problem. Come in." She stepped aside so they could enter.

Sarah waved at them both, being a little shy. "Oh hello. This probably isn't the greatest time, I'm sorry to-" Amelia shook her head. "No, don't worry! It's always nice to have some extra company, right Sarah?" Her friend smiled. Susan started rumbling in her handbag. "We'll be back in about three hours, I'll give you some money." Amelia raised her hand and shook her head. "You don't have to pay me, I don't mind babysitting." Susan hesitated, but took her wallet out of her handbag anyway. "I don't want to take advantage of you so here's some money for when you want to buy food or something." Amelia thanked her. 

Susan smiled and placed her hand on Max's shoulder. "Be nice to them and have fun." She placed a kiss on Max's forehead and then walked out. "Okay Max, so what do you want to do? Do you want to skateboard or play soccer on the street?" Max nodded enthusiastically, agreeing to anything Amelia said. "Just wait here, we're going to put our shoes on." 

Sarah and Amelia went upstairs to her bedroom. "Why can't Billy look after her?" Sarah asked while she put on her shoes. Amelia shrugged her shoulders. "I'll ask Max later."

Sarah went back downstairs while Amelia banged on Benjamin's door. "Benjamin, get up!" When he didn't answer, she opened the door. His room was painted in a dark color and the curtain from his window had been pulled down so that Amelia could barely anything. She switched on the light. Benjamin moaned because of the bright light and pulled the blue sheet over his head. "We have company, you have to play soccer with her." Amelia stated. "Play soccer? With a girl?" 

Amelia maneuvered herself between all the dirty clothes and food left on the floor and pulled the sheet from his face. "Yes, her name is Max. She's like a boy. Come on, it will be fun." Benjamin moaned again. "We're home alone. So let's enjoy this nice day without complaining parents." Benjamin blinked and removed the sheets. "Fine, I'll come down in a second." 

Max and Sarah were already outside. While Max was showing a few tricks on her skateboard, Amelia went to sit down at the curb beside Sarah. "You're very good." Sarah said and Amelia nodded in approval. "Where's Billy?" She asked. "He is still asleep, he is not in a great mood so my mother didn't want me to stay alone with him." Amelia thought about the Arcade and understood why her mom wouldn't risk that. 

"We'll always have our door open for you." She said as she pointed to her house. "Thanks." Max said while a shy smile was plastered on her face. Benjamin emerged from the house with a football under his arm. "This is my stepbrother, Benjamin." Amelia said as she pointed to him. "Shall we?" He asked while holding the ball up.

Benjamin and Max were getting along pretty well since they were both boyish. They had found a few objects which they used as two goals. Sarah and Amelia had found chairs in the shed which they had placed on the grass. Sarah was holding a book in her hands while Amelia had her sunglasses on and watched the two play soccer. She crossed her arms behind her head and laughed when Benjamin nearly fell.