Chapter Six

With a loud gasp Amelia woke up, barely avoiding a scream. Her clothes clung to her sweaty body and her sheets were tangled between her legs. This night she had a various of nightmares which mostly were about her stepfather. Flying fists and kicking feet everywhere. 

Amelia quietly started to cry and her body shivered and her hands were trembling. It was so terribly painful to be reminded of all the bad times, of everything her stepfather put her through. She let the tears fall down her bare legs and needed a moment to steady her breathing. Once she wiped all the tears from her face and felt okay again, she slipped out of her bedroom and went to the bathroom. She quickly took a shower. 

Back in her room she grabbed a pale sweater and a wide pair of jeans. While brushing her hair Amelia wasn't sure whether or not it was safe for her to stay home. John could still be pissed at her even though he had no reason at all. 

Before doing anything else, she decided to go to Cora's room. She softly knocked on the door and slipped inside to find Cora already lying awake in her bed. "You weren't here." She said with sadness in her voice. "You left me alone." She was referring to last night. "Did he hurt you?" Amelia whispered. 

John hit Cora once. A year ago they had to go to a neighborhood party and Cora refused to put on her dress. John became so angry because she didn't obey. That was the only time he ever slapped her. But that didn't mean he wouldn't do it again. Cora shook her head. "I was so scared and you weren't here." Amelia grabbed her face with her both hands. "I'm so sorry, I was scared too." She jumped up and gave her a hug. 

Silently they sat there for a few minutes. "Let's go put on your clothes." A minute or two later they were sitting at the kitchen table. Suddenly Amelia heard the bedroom door of her parents open. She was extremely nervous since she didn't know how they would react to her escape last night. 

When her mother came down the stairs Amelia noticed she had a bruise on her cheek. As their eyes met, her mother gave her a sour glance. "Amelia, where were you?" She asked bitterly. "I had to leave, mom, I couldn't stay. You understand that, right?" Her mother turned her head to face the wall. "I think it's for the best that you leave, before he comes down." She muttered to which Amelia responded with a small nod.

It was so early in the morning that she didn't know where to go. She wanted to call Rebecca but she had mentioned she was out of town today. And Amelia knew Sarah spent Sunday as family day so she wouldn't be able to reach her. 

Amelia went to the living room and picked up the address book lying on the table next to the phone. She read through the different phone numbers and decided to call Steve. His mother answered.

"Hello?" Her soft voice made Amelia feel sad somehow. "Hello Mrs. Harrington, could I speak to Steve, please?" Amelia heard Steve's mother shout something in the backround. Moments later, Steve came to the phone. "Hi, Amelia?" He said with a sleepy voice. 

"Hey, I know it's super early but I was wondering if you wanna hang out, maybe get some breakfast?" She felt nervous for she didn't know if he would agree to her proposition. 

"You're a very light sleeper to be awake at this afwul hour." Steve stated. "But no worries, I'll be there in half an hour, okay?" Amelia felt immensly relieved and smiled. "Yeah, thanks Steve." 

After she said goodbye to Cora, she grabbed a warm jacket and waited patiently on her porch. Amelia looked around and saw a neighbor letting his dog out while another was running through the streets. A boy was passing by on his bike as he threw newspapers on people's front lawns. Amelia smiled at him as he passed her house. She was so absorbed in her thoughts that she didn't even notice Steve's car pull up.