Chapter Sixteen

''Benjamin, let's go!'' Amelia yelled as she tied the laces of her shoes while sitting down on the stairs. 

The weekend had slowly passed by. Amelia and Billy had said goodbye on Friday night in a somewhat hopeful manner; she had felt hope that their relationship could develop into something more. But she hadn't heard or seen Billy since then which made her wonder if he perhaps regretted his thoughtful words.

Amelia didn't had the courage to go over his house. What if Susan, his stepmother, opened the door and asked why she had stopped by? Amelia couldn't answer that question for she had no idea how she needed to handle this situation. Would Billy act like nothing had happened; like he didn't mean the things he had said? Or would they move on from there and perhaps date for real?

Instead of staring through her window like a desperate, anxious child, she had kept herself busy throughout the weekend; she had helped her mom clean the house, she did her homework and even went to the park with Cora. And yet, her thoughts kept circling back to the same subject; Billy. 

"I'm coming!" Benjamin yelled back. A few moments later he rushed down the stairs. "Have fun at school." Mom said as the teenagers walked out the door.

Amelia hadn't had the chance yet to ask her brother about his date with his 'girlfriend' so she figured now would be the right time. "How was the date with your girlfriend?" Amelia asked as they drove off to school. Benjamin kept his gaze on the road but a small smile crept on his face. "It was great. We went to the movies and afterwards we went for a walk. Of course some jokers scared us a few times as it was Halloween." 

Amelia chuckled. "Was she afraid? Did you hold her hand?" She said teasingly. Benjamin's only response was a eye roll. 

"I'm happy for you. I hope it works out." Her words were sincere. "Me too." Benjamin responded. "I'm still wondering who she is." Amelia made a mental note to let Rebecca do some research. "Nice try. We'll see." 

"How's your love life?" Benjamin said to change the subject slightly. Amelia fiddled with her fingers as she looked outside. "There's a guy but-" She began. "Is it Billy Hargrove?" Amelia raised an eyebrow as she looked at Benjamin. 

"What makes you think that?" She asked curiously. "Your reaction says enough." Amelia felt a slight blush creeping on her cheeks but that would quickly fade away by his next comment. 

"Apparently everyone's talking about Billy and the girls he hangs out with." That remark didn't sit well with her; surely she wasn't like the others who he just used. Surely she was different, right?

"Yeah well, he's different with me." She could hear Benjamin sniff as he didn't believe her. "Billy isn't who everyone thinks. He pretends to be someone he's not." Amelia said. "Whatever you say. Just be careful." She knew Benjamin just wanted to look out for her, like normal big brothers do. But no one else has had the chance to discover Billy's true personality as she did. 

Amelia had only seen small fragments of his personality but that was enough for her to realize he's different. She knew she had to keep this a secret; her friends wouldn't understand and only make it harder for her.

They had changed the subject after that and the rest of the car ride went by very fast. "All right, see you after school." Benjamin said as they seperated on the parking lot. "Bye." With that, Amelia walked over to Rebecca who was sitting on their usual bench. 

"Hey girl, how was your weekend?" Rebecca asked as she looked distractedly into her little mirror while applying some lipgloss. "Wasn't so exciting. How was yours?" Amelia looked around and spotted Steve walking over towards them. "I went out with Jeremy on Saturday, he's such a great guy, I mean-" Her story was interrupted by Steve's greeting.