The Begining

Steven, now twenty, taller, his hair longer, curlier, a short beard like his father and a long rose tattoo on his arms, walks into his home with the same innocence and wonder as he did six years ago, though now with a bit more weight behind his eyes and his step more mature.

His shirt was largely the same with a star in the middle, though larger with his growing size and the sleeves completely absent from his attire.

His shorts were still blue, but longer and with more ragged holes in them, his hair was tied behind his head in a curly ponytail and his sandals larger, but the same style and brand.

He yawned, taking a quick glance around the room, scratching his beard, a small green gem followed him, looking exactly the same as she had half a decade ago.

"Steven, Lapis and I want to know what we can do, homeworld's been quiet, and I don't like not knowing what their up to." He turned to her with a seriousness that he had found not too long ago.

"Neither do I, but as long as they stay away from earth like they have been, I'm fine with not knowing." He sat on a stool and sipped a cup of coffee, sighing because of the work of the day ahead.

"Still.... I don't like it." He placed a hand in the green gems shoulder and beamed down at her, his eyes full of stars.

"Be positive Peridot, neither of us want to start another war, White isn't stupid. Neither is Blue or Yellow." Peridot shook her head and leaned her small body on the counter.

"I still don't understand how such a small human specimen grew so quickly." He looked at her for a second and his face flickered, for a moment losing it's positivity.

"I had to grow up Peridot." The green gem winced, seeing her hybrid friend sad was like seeing a Diamond sad, it never happened.

"H-Hey! I never said it was a bad thing! Your increased size will provide a edge in combat!" She tried to save it, it succeeded, he was back to grinning.

"Are you calling me fat?" He teased, and Peridot looked at him with a confused glare.

"Why use the derogatory term? On homeworld, having a larger size warrants respect. It means you came out right." He nodded, now gazing into space, his eyes zoned out, Peridot notices this, she also notices that his grip on his mug was loosened.

"Your going to drop your energy boost." He snapped back to reality, shaking off the daze and standing, gulping down the rest of his coffee.

"Thanks Peridot, I'm gonna go look around the city, contact me if anything crops up." The green gem smiles and lets out her classic poindexter laugh.

"Oh I will, you are our leader after all."

He steps out the door and breathes in the salty sea air, a breeze blows through his unkempt hair and he carefully climbs down the steps that creak and groan with his weight.

He really wasn't sure where he was going, he had just gone to the Big Donut for breakfast, Loin was.... Somewhere and he really didn't feel like finding him, he'd be back soon enough.

He thought for a moment, and his face lit up, Connie! He hadn't seen her except on missions nowadays, and now was the perfect quiet moment to hang out.

He snatched his phone out of his pocket with enthusiasm and found Connie in his contacts(it was the second, His father was the first.) and pressed the call button.

It rung maybe half a second before a voice came over the phone, panicked and scared.

"Steven!" Connie's worried voice came over the phone, she was younger than him by two-years and a half but her maturity stretched much beyond his own.