Goodbye

"Absolutely not!" Connie exclaimed, she was trying extremely hard to not start crying, this couldn't happen. Not after everything they'd been through.

Amethyst joined in with the protest. "Yeah! I need my bit buddy!"

"Steven is need here. To lead the Crystal Gems!" Cuprite looks insulted to be talked to like that, and taken aback.

"Excuse us Cuprite..." She bowed and he took the two to the side, turning to Amethyst first.

"Ames. I know your upset about it... but you can get a new bit buddy... I think Bismuth was interested actually..." She scoffed.

"I don't want a new one, I want you..." Steven chuckled, "I know Amethyst, go tell the others..."

She nodded glumly, hiding tears, and he turned to Connie who immediately hugged him.

"Please don't leave..." He hugged back, holding back tears of his own now.

"You know I have to, This would end the war, you can live a normal life. You won't have to carry that sword everywhere...you can be safe Connie." She was finally crying into his shoulder, finally breaking under the pressure.

"I need you here... I just moved in... I-I don't know what to do without you..." He broke the hug and looked at her in the eye, brushing a tear away with his finger.

"No you don't, we've trained and fought together... you can live without me here..." Connie held back her tears again. Though saw Stevens eyes watering.

"Why can't I go with you? I can travel back here and get food and stuff for you, your organic, you need to sustain yourself up there." He thought for a moment, then shook his head.

"I can't ask you to do that, you have a life here..." He said, But was stopped once again by her outburst.

"I want to! You... you are my life." She went quiet, and looked up like a child at their parent.

"Connie..." He caressed her cheek for a moment then chuckled...

"I'm not gonna talk you out of it... are I?" She smiled, she felt her heart swelling.

"No... You aren't." She embraced him. And he did the same tightly.

He nodded and led her back to Cuprite, who was playing with her hair, while her Rubies all continued to stay in formation.

"Very well Cuprite, I accept the conditions, I shall return with you, with my escort of course." Cuprite looked overjoyed, and bowed under her nose grazed the floor.

"A wise decision indeed My Diamond."

"Just give me a moment to say goodbye." He walked out and was immediately rushed by Gems.

"No... don't leave... we need you, your our leader...." He heard bits of what they were saying, he said nothing and embraced them all.

"Listen, this will end the war, this will free you all, I have to go. You are all wonderful Gems, and I leave you in good hands!" He points to Garnet and lays a hand on her shoulder.

"I need you to keep them together for me... I want to stay... but... you of all people know why I can't." He sighed and she smiled slightly at him.

"You will be back Steven. I'll take care of these Gems."

He smiled and sighed a final time, hearing the pittering of feet behind him.

"The ship is ready My Diamond." Connie took his hand, looking up at him with fierce determination. And it made him feel a little more confident.

"Let's go then." He felt the breeze touch his face and blow his hair, he could smell the salt from the sea, and hear the seagulls and insects cawing and humming with the whispers of the wind. He looked out upon the early morning sunrise, hoping that he'd see it again.

He then looked to his side, where Connie was also lost in the view, and made a new promise in his head.

We will get home, together.

They stepped onto the finger of the ship and was immediately engulfed in a red bubble not unlike Stevens, Cuprite was giddy with excitement in front of them, all the Rubies huddled around.

When the bubble opened he stood inside a tall chamber, completely pink and with, surprisingly, an extremely large bed. But that seemed to be the only thing here.

"Please tell me you brought food..." he asked, and Connie shook her head and clasped her hand over her mouth, but almost instantly a little hexagonal fruit appeared in front of him... the same kind as in the zoo.

"At least they are better prepared then last time..." He joked as he bit into the powerful tasting fruit, it was completely artificial but not unhealthy...

"I guess we just... wait..." Connie said, sitting on the humongous bed and looking out the window, seeing the shoreline of Beach City get further and further away.

"Yeah... until we get out of orbit.... we wait."