Chapter 8

"Hey Kerry, " he says nervously, running his unbroken hand through his hair.

"Um, hey. What brings you here?" I didn't feel like seeing him today.

"What? I can't come see my best friend?" His laugh is quiet and scared.

"Look, I know you want to say sorry and everything.  But I'm just not in the mood. I have to go."

"Are you grounded?"

"No. Just leave please."

"Kerry, I am sorry. So sorry, I want you to trust me again. I really do not mean for this to happen!"

"Yes I know. But it happened anyway, I just don't want to think about it."

"Kerry, please come for a walk with me."

"Rick I can't-"

"Please I need to speak to you."

"Oh fine." I grab my hoodie, my phone and keys. Quickly, I turn the alarm on, walk out and lock the door. When I stand by Rick,  he holds my hand but looks away. Something is wrong, I don't know what it is.

We reach the park and lean against our tree. There's a long silence between us until Rick breaks it.

"I've been thinking about things lately and I have decided what to do with my self," his words are slow but certain. I look at him and begin to talk.

"Friday night was long ago, it doesn't matter. There's nothing to-" I am interrupted by Rick's desperate voice.

"Kerry, just stop. I did the most irresponsible , careless thing I could have done: Putting you in danger. I can never forgive myself for that. So I have decided to move away. Permanently." I can't even speak. I'm going to lose him.

"Oh my god. No Rick no. You can't just leave, I need you. Please." I finally choke out in between my tears.

"I have to leave. I know it's going to be painful, but it will be for the better. I need to start again."

"Please, don't do this to us. I just can't-" I sob even more as Rick pulls me into his arms. I cry on his chest until there are no tears left. I'm broken.

"Just trust me with this one. It will be better for everything, especially you," he takes my hand and walks me home, I just want to spend every last moment with him.

We stand outside my drive way in the rain and say goodbye, only he says 'See ya later". As we walk away from each other, he runs up to me and grabs me by my waist, with his unbroken hand, and kisses me on the lip. Our bodies press against each other, my hand moves up towards his neck and holds him.

Nothing happened afterwards, no I love you's, no more kissing. He just let's go of me and walks away without turning back.

I am left ripped apart with emotions in the cold rain.

When I walk inside I see Lexi and Dad in the living room, watching television. I run upstairs as sobs erupt from me. I slam the door and cry in my pillow, hoping Rick would call and laugh saying it was a prank. But no.

My hearts hurts everytime I think of Rick leaving, the sad thing is I don't think anything could fix me. I just feel useless. Slowly, I grab my electric guitar and play on it lazily. I check my phone hoping of some unheard messages from Rick, but the only thing I see are 5 miss calls and 9 texts from Zachary. Hopelessly I sink back into my messy bed with my earphones on, listening to Arctic Monkeys.

Suddenly I hear my door creak open but all I do is shake off my earphones and wait for who ever came in to say something.

Eventually they do,"Kerry are you alright?" My dad's voice is quiet and slow.

I sit up and answer him, uncertain of what I should say. "I'm okay," I say calmly but I feel very depressed inside.

"Oh stop Kerrigan Everton! You clearly are not well. Tell me please," he voice was firm but desperate too.

"Rick is moving away.. he isn't coming back," I burst into tears, making rivers flow down my cheeks.

"What? Rick's moving? Are you sure he said that?"

"Yes, he's going away he wants to start over and he says it will better, but it won't! I don't know what to do."

"Oh, Kerry, it's going to be a hard change. But you'll get through it, you're stronger than this. Rick is still your best friend, even if he isn't here with you," my dad's wise words comfort me alot. I stop crying and try to pull myself together, I don't want to sink in  depression again.

It's hard to believe what is happening. My best friend, I've known since 5th grade, is moving away. I don't know where or when. All I know is that I might never be able to see him again and alot is going to change.