Chapter 13

I've only had a few close relationships with people, my social skills are in fact the worst. If I talk to you without stuttering then we know each very well. Sadly, I've had this stuttering issue since I was very young. I grew up in a small city so there weren't many people. One day our nearby school annouced it was closing down, let's just say I was devastated. Lexi on the other hand didn't mind much as she was moving to a bigger city and school. The minute I started  that new school, that's when my stutter became worse. I was too shy and nervous to talk to anyone, I usually did everything by myself. But over time I  started a realise that a small black haired boy was trying to befriend me. He would try so hard but I kept blocking him out. When one day my mother and I were walking home and little boy ran up to me. "Hey! Look you lost your necklace," he panted when he reached me. My mother found it really cute and invited him to come over, but I was just suprised that I had lost my beloved necklace. It was a leaving gift from my best friend Ava. In fact I still have the necklace to this day.

"T-thank you!" I mumbled looking away.

"No problem! By the way my name is Rick," He beamed with his bright smile.

"I'm Kerry," I laughed looking up. "See you around."

***

Sun rays shine through the window and into my face as I open my curtains. I refreshen up and throw on my clothes, a red checkered shirt and denim ripped jeans. I grab my skateboard and head for the door, that's after I fill my empty stomach with some sugary waffles.

I meet Lana at the end of the road and we begin to race. As always she takes the lead while I hang behind, trying to catch up. My skills have not yet been perfected. The leader board stays like this until she tries to show off her skills, but fails. A 360° spin over some stairs, but failing to catch the skateboard before she lands, she falls face first on the concrete. Causing me to take the lead. I laugh as I pass her but not look back.

I eventually reach the park and see the usual members waiting for me and Lana, if she shows up. "Finally, you actually beat her," remarks Dev, the youngest member who comes to skate regularly here.

"Actually, she tripped up so I had an advantage," I say honestly.

"I told you, she'll never beat Lana," Hayden concludes pointing his cigarette towards me.

At that very moment Lana walks in battered and speechless. I was the first to get up and question her. Her hair was a tangled mess, thrown to one side. Every inch of her clothing was creased or ripped. But the worst had to be her face. A jagged cut went from her top lip to bottom lip, covering them with blood. Black-purple eyes failing to keep open. Every organ hurt looking at her. In the distance I could hear Hayden's cigarette drop.

I ran to her dropping my skateboard aside, ignoring everything in my surrounds. My arms immediately wrap around her, but I don't feel hers against me. I can hear Lana's faint heartbeat just beating away quietly. Suddenly she slips out of my arms and drops to the ground in a crumpled mess. In a second I'm looking in her scared eyes screaming her name until my throats goes dry. Tears pour down my cheek as I scream and beg for a response.

Hayden drags me away from her as she is carried to the ambulance. I watch it speed away, choking on my tears. The last siren goes before it's gone and I'm left on only hope. I lay in Hayden's arms and watch the smoke of his cigarette fill the air, creating unreadable shapes. My life is just some smoke, just slowly killing everybody I love and need.