Chapter 14

For the past few week I've been trying to avoid Zach the best I can. After Lana told me that I was being targeted by a bunch of desperate girls, I decided it's best to just keep away from him, so I'm seen less often seen with him.

"What is up with every girl in this damn school, it's like I can't even talk to Zach without being looked at," I moaned, Lana looked at me sympathetically. She kicked her up on my desk and struming my guitar. My room was a mess, as per usual, with clothes lying around and just random bits and pieces. Lana had her music on speaker and was humming to the beat.

"Hah, what did you actually expect. To just stroll with the badass of Riverdell high, no honey it doesn't work that way," she scoffs.

"Well I'm sorry for not knowing that he's probably made of gold," I mock miserably. Lana puts the guitar down and turns up the music.

"Screw him, you don't need him. He's just going to ruin your life!" She shouted calmly over the blaring music. I remembered how calm my life was before I met him, how I didn't have to think about a certain person each day. Now I have no rick, and just the small itch at the back of my head persuading me to talk to Zach. I can't do this.

I hunch my knees up and face down, "maybe you're right."

***

"I'm here to see Lana Val," I say to the woman at the registration. She scrolls through through her list and eventually finds Lana's name.

"Sorry I don't think you will be able to see her today, she's in rest after the operation," She says dragging each word.

"But the doctor clearly told me yesterday that Lana is free for visits," I fired back.

"I'm sorry I don't have the time to argue with you, you can come and visit her in 3 days time. Would you like an appointment?" She says smiling sarcastically.

"I want to see this doctor right now or so help me I will make you lose this job!" I scream angrily at her.

"If you try and threaten me again I will have to call the security to take you away," she points her pen at me and gives me an evil glare.

"FINE!" I spin on my heels and stomp out of the hospital without another word. Suddenly I feel a hand touch my shoulder and hear deep voice say my name.

"Kerrigan?" He says when were face to face. His face is somewhat familiar but I have never seen it before.

"Actually it's Kerry and you are?" I reply nervously.

"Tyler. Tyler Val," he breathes. There's a sudden mysterious atmostphere in the waiting room and I'm overwhelmed by the seriousness and darkness in Tyler's eyes. It's like I'm having a stare down with a wolf.

"Lana's brother I'm assuming," I say calmly, slowly loosing up.

"Yes, you came to see Lana as well I hear," Tyler has a cold voice, that could give you shivers down your spine. He dressed so immaculately unlike Lana, who literally threw on her clothes. Even his hair was perfect, not a strand out of place, just swept back with elegancy. 

Before I have a chance to apolgise for my behaviour at the reception, his icy hands gripped my wrist and whispered a set of instructions to me. You can hear every precise word so you couldn't escape. It almost scared you. I obeyed willingly,  at this point I was ready to do anything to see Lana.

The nurse that drags a large trolly behind her appears out of the door, lazily pulling the trolley. Tyler gives a gestures for me to go. Slowly I walk up to the nurse and get her attention. "Sorry, do you know where the dermatology ward is?" I ask innocently. She gives me unclear instructions with half open eyes. Tyler jumps on to the trolley. I quickly end my conversation with her and run to Tyler, I join him on the trolley.

The nurse continues to drag the trolley all the way to Lana's ward. Tyler's been watching the same nurse for days and making sure she goes to the same ward everytime. Eventually he came up with a way to break in and out of the ward without being caught.

He was a genius in disguise.

I recognise Lana immediately. She sat so still in her bed with her headphones in her ear. Tyler's far behind me when I'm sitting next to her. "Lana!" I squeal excitedly. She immediately looks up and her eyes widen.

"Oh my God, Kerry. How d'you get in?" She asks curiously.

"Tyler got us in," I look back. He's disappeared. My mouth drops and I'm confused. "He was just..I swear," I explain.

"Nah, don't worry about it, he does it all the time," Lana reassures.  She waves her hand as if it was just a normal thing. Lana's here lying in a hospital bed yet Tyler couldn't come to even greet her. I force my self to stop asking such questions, as they are not of my business. Instead I just sigh and ask how she's feeling.

"Yeah um, they found I had a fractured rib and a crushed nose so they had to do some operations, it was nothing," she smiles nervously, but her eyes clearly show that she's worried.

"Oh my God Lana!! All you did was fall where did all this damadge come from?" I question firmly.

"Um, that's what I've been meaning to tell you..." She looks down in pain and let's a tear drop onto the snow white bed sheets. I begin to panic.

"Lana? Lana!? Tell me what's going on! Did someone hurt you?" I feel so scared and terrified that I could be losing her. I'm about to call someone (even though I recognise the consquences when they find out I snuck in here) but she finally says something.

"I'm so sorry Kerry," then she says what she's been meaning to say before she bursts into tears. "It was Zach."