xiv. THE BOYS

MARTY R

MARTY R.—

"dal, c'mon!" i straddled the groggy boy's waist, my hands pressed against his chest to shake him lightly.

i felt cold hands travel to under my large shirt to rest above my panty line. "why are you so loud in the morning?" he asked.

"because, dal, i wanna go get johnny and pony." i sigh, pressing kisses over his collar bone and neck.

he grinned as his hands moved up under the shirt. "maybe we can have a little fun before we go."

"no, we gotta go get the boys." i smirk, hopping off of him.

i slid the shirt off and earned a whistle from dal, "do a turn!"

my eyes rolled as i slid a bra on, this time he booed. he always made me laugh when i wasn't completely okay. i couldn't look at the shepherd house or my thunderbird. sadly, it took a toll on angie and i.

my usual outfit; black shirt, shorts, and boots. i didn't even care do get something to eat. we got ready and hopped into buck's car. dallas had asked to borrow it prior to this adventure after we explained what happened to the t-bird.

i let dal drive for once. soda and steve were working on the bird. hopefully, i'd be able to race soon. dallas was a terrible driver, swerving everywhere on the way to windrixville. the only thing keeping me calm was the four seasons blasting. teardrops, to be exact. they were pretty new, their first came out three years ago and had been my savior since.

my feet rested on the dashboard, my eyes closed. i enjoyed the wind and bright sun. moments like these were ones to last a lifetime.

Windrixville
5 miles

the sign made me anxious, i didn't know ponyboy and johnny that well. although, it felt like i had knew them my entire life. the most i has remembered about them was when they were very young, before i moved away.

they were inseparable, most of the time walking with their little arms wrapped around each other's shoulders. no one would or even tried to come between them. if one of them got hurt, the other did everything to make them better. i loved that about their friendship, looking back on it.

my eyes focused back to my surroundings. the bright wooded areas surrounded us. fields of crops littered the spaces in front of bundles of trees. the country side was always serene.

the car slowed to the bottom part of a mountain, a run down church on top of it. my heart raced as i hopped out of the vehicle.

"you're moving too slow, let's go." i groaned, pulling dallas up the hill.

he entered the church first, pushing away cobwebs. i laughed as he freaked from it getting in his hair.

"dal?" johnny's voice was small and scared.

i passed dallas, walking quickly towards the source of the voice. once i reached the two teenagers, i pulled them into a hug.

"oh my god, you're both so skinny." my voice was shaky as well as my hands.

we pulled away and i noticed ponyboy's hair. i stifled a laugh and he rolled his eyes. "your tuff hair." i teased, wrapping my arms around his waist from his side.

even if i was a couple years older, the fourteen year old still was taller than me. "yeah, yeah. get your jollies, marty."

"so dal, you make it official?" johnny asked, noticing the ring on my hand.

it wasn't like dallas had proposed; i didn't expect nor want him too. the ring was his, that he attempted to nonchalantly make me wear. i didn't mind, but i didn't even want to think about marriage.

"martini just so happens to be my girl now." dally smirked.

"wow, i thought you drank bourbon not girly drinks." ponyboy poked fun at dallas' nickname for me.

this time i rolled my eyes, finally letting go of the kid.

"anyone up for food? i'm starving, man." dallas commented, getting exasperated looks from the two greasers.

we all filed out of the dusty church, i was right behind the now blonde teenager. honestly, i kinda liked him with lighter hair.

dallas and johnny argued back and forth on the way and at the dairy queen. johnny wanted to turn himself in. i could see the pain in dal's eyes, he wouldn't be able to handle johnny being locked up. i don't think any of us could. the slammer would ruin johnny. he's just a kid.

i sat in the back with ponyboy, he quietly shoveled food into his mouth. my smile couldn't have been wiped off, wait till soda and pone see each other.

the pale greaser driving swerved out of the parking lot. "jesus christ dal, we just them back. you're gonna get us killed if you keep driving like this." i complained.

he barely took my comment into consideration. my body leaned against the back of his seat, one of my arms tossed over his shoulder. every once in a while dally would grab ahold of my hand or place a kiss on my arm. it was truly the small things he did that made my heart race.

my life was complete bliss in this moment. well, till we arrived back at the church. screams filled my ears, i popped up at the noise. terror took over my body as the flames roared from within the old church.

by the time everything had registered, johnny and ponyboy had began to run towards the fire. dallas was standing up in the car yelling out at them. my instincts were to follow the younger boys. i hopped out of the back, quickly being pulled back.

"no, you're not going in there!" dallas ordered.

i never listened to dallas winston, i sure ain't gonna start now.

his grip hadn't loosened, so i dragged him along. running up the hill, dallas finally started to accept my plan. we ran towards the other two greasers. dal picked up a rock, throwing it through brittle wood. smoke poured from within. i was already coughing up a storm.

dallas pulled me away from the entrance.

"i don't want you goin' in there." he pleaded.

"i'm helping, dal." i argued.

"i can't fucking lose you, marty!"

my lips fell into a straight line, unsure of what to do.

"you're not gonna lose me."

with that, i climbed into the inferno. children crying in a corner. we began passing children out to dallas, some wouldn't stop yelling while others stood like they were glued to the ground.

johnny and i moved back further, reaching one last child. i passed her to johnny, shoving both of them towards ponyboy and dallas.

an uneasy cracking noise came from above johnny and i. it felt like a film went over my ears, i couldn't hear anything. everything felt as if i was moving in slow motion.

nothing could've remembered after that feeling.

ohmygod
one. more. chapter.
maybe two
depends if i can fit everything
into one or not

but hi, i'm lacie.
i'm officially dead on the inside.

take care! grab some tissues! u in for a ride!
vroom vroom.