19

Demi

My meeting with Mia was hard. It was difficult to look at her without thinking about how I had just had sex with her father. As I was speaking to her my phone rang, the ID showing it was the front desk.

"Hello?"

"Dr. Lovato? We have a parent here for a conference. Can I send him in?"

"Who is the parent?"

"It's... Wilmer Valderrama."

I glanced at Mia. "Yes, you can send him in." I hung up and smiled at her. "Your dad would like to come in for a conference."

"Is something wrong?"

I shook my head. "He probably just wants to check in. Your dad loves you, Mia."

She shrugged. "He's not usually like this. We don't like... talk to each other."

I cocked my head but before I could reply there was a knock on the door. "I guess that's something we can talk about all together."

Standing up, I walked over to the door and pulled it open, smiling when I see him. At the same time, I gave Wilmer a warning glance and stepped aside so he could see Mia behind me.

"Hi, Mr. Valderrama." I greeted, smirking a bit.

"Good morning, Dr. Lovato." He said smoothly, then smiled widely at Mia. "Hey, kiddo."

"Hi dad." Mia responded in a small voice.

"Come in, sit down." I said, and walked over to my desk. Once Wilmer sat down I smiled at the both of them. "So I wasn't planning a conference but I guess we can started with you, Mia. Is there anything specific you want to talk about with your dad?"

Mia took a deep breath and peeked up at her dad. "I wanna talk about mom."

I nodded and looked at Wilmer who was glancing between Mia and I helplessly. "Okay... What do you want to know about her?"

"Why was she in here? What was wrong with her?"

He looked at me sharply. "You told her?"

I put my hands up in the air. "She was eavesdropping."

He sighed and turned back to Mia. "Your mother had an eating disorder, and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety."

Mia nodded. "Is that why I'm like this?"

Wilmer hesitated and glanced at me. "Uhm..."

"Mental illnesses certainly have a genetic factor, but it's not anyone's fault that this is happening to you. However, your mom's mental illness is certainly a factor." Mia's eyes dropped down and I leaned forward. "But you will not have the same fate as your mom. I will make sure of it."

She bit her lip and sighed. "Why didn't you tell me, dad? You just let me believe that she was fine and then killed herself for no reason?"

Wilmer took a deep breath. "How am I supposed to tell my daughter that her mom was so depressed that she didn't want to live anymore? That we barely spoke in the few weeks before she did it. That I was such a bad husband that I didn't notice it. And then years late I didn't notice my daughter going through the same thing? That's why I didn't tell you, because I didn't want you to hate her, or blame me for not doing more to help her."

Mia looked out the window and sighed. "Too weeks ago I probably would've hate you for that, and not telling me."

He smiled and leaned over to kiss her forehead. "I'm glad you're making progress."

Mia smiled timidly and I could practically see her beginning to close off. "Mia, why don't you head down to the lunch hall and I'll talk to your dad little bit."

She nodded and stood up, walking out. "How is she doing? Like really?" Wilmer asked, once she was out of the room and the door shut.

I smiled. "She's adjusting well, as well as anyone can. She's making friends and a lot of progress with her eating. However, I still have to make sure she's not just putting on a good face, and I'm usually a pretty good judge of that."

Wilmer leaned forward and rubbed his face. "That's as good as I can ask, I guess."

I sighed. "How are you doing?"

He rubbed his eyes again. "Just a little stressed out. I'm worried about her. I'm just scared that something's going to happen and she'll end up worse than before. I don't know... She's my little girl. I'd do anything for her and right now I feel so helpless."

I stood up and walked over to the door to lock it, before I sat in the chair next to Wilmer, taking his hands in mine. "Look at me." He kept his head down and I rubbed his back. "Wilmer, look at me." Slowly he turned, his eyes searching my face. "Mia is going to be fine. You are not helpless right now. You're just as influential in her recovery as I am. You're the person she's learned to count on, and trust, since she was six years old. You're the person she looks to when she's scared, and right now she's absolutely terrified."

He nodded and I saw the same fear in his eyes I had seen in Mia's. "I want to make it all go away. I wanted to do that with Isabella too, but I failed. What happens if Mia gets bad again? Will I even notice?"

I nodded and squeezed his hands. "Of course you'll notice. And if you don't, I will. Eventually she'll find out this between us and we'll deal with her reaction. But if you are thinking of a future with me, I'll always be there to keep her accountable."

Wilmer looked up, his eyes meeting mine. "Of course I see a future with you Demi. It's just... I don't know. I'm worried."

I bit my lip and ran my hand through his hair. "I promise you, Mia is in excellent care."

He looked up and cracked a smile, then he leaned close and connected our mouths, his hands pulling me up as he stood too and backed us up until his legs hit the couch. He sat, pulling me onto his lap with a low groan that made me smile.

Wilmer began too kiss my neck and I held his head, gasping. "No marks."

He nodded and his hands slid lower down my back, then down to my ass, squeezing it as I bit on his bottom lip. My hands wandered from his hair to his neck, then his chest, rubbing it gently as I felt his tongue brush my lower lip.

"I love you." He said softly, slowing down the kiss. "So much."

I smiled and kissed him one more time before I put my hand on his cheek. "I love you too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!

Twitter: Lovatic_Chica

-Rachel