Chapter 3: Splitting Up

You shanks ready? You're getting four points of view in this chapter! And things may move fast, but the next chapter is going to be even more action packed. And if things go to plan, you'll be getting that tomorrow! Have fun, and don't forget to comment and vote! <3

One Month Later...

Marie walked down the hallway, with Newt by her side. 

This month had been hell. For everyone. 

But they were about to leave, and for good too. 

She looked over at Newt from the corner of her eye, and he smiled a bit when seeing her. The guard walking behind them had their gun cocked, and nudged the back of Newt. 

"In, crank." He said through a muffled mask. Marie wanted to rip the mask off, but she made herself stay calm as she watched Newt walk into the containment room. This was where he spent the days with the other cranks, such as Teddy, Murphy, and their other friends from the Scorch. Marie hadn't seen any of them for what felt like years, and Newt wasn't allowed to come out from testing unless it was to see Marie, for ultrasounds that were suspiciously often. 

The guard prodded Marie. "Okay. Move along."

"As you wish." Marie said with a small smirk, before walking farther down the hallway. 

At the end of the hallway, Minnie watched Marie as she walked down the hall, and eventually rounded the corner. 

"Alright, come on. Get the stuff." She whispered. Minho walked out of the bathroom, hair slicked up. 

"I'm ready." He whispered back, grabbing the food that the Gladers had gathered over the last week from under Minnie's bed. 

"What did you do with your hair?" Minnie frowned, placing her hands on her hips sternly. 

"Slicked it up. It looks better. You wouldn't understand, Min."

"Boys. You're so egotistical." She laughed a bit, and allowed him to bring her into a hug. 

"Oh shut you you shank." Minho said quietly before breaking away.

The two walked out of the room belonging to the twins, glancing around at the other rooms. They were all unlocked, because it was leisure hour, but others were in testing, like lab rats. Minnie felt a swell of anger in her chest at the thought. Even though they went willingly, to find out more of WICKED'S twisting hallways and landscapes, with the prospect of leaving heavy on their minds, she still felt guilty. Like she was letting it happen with no consequence. 

"What if this doesn't work?" She turned to Minho, who stroked her hair. 

"It'll work. I'm positive." He said with a nervous smile. Minnie nodded and clapped her hands. 

"Come on shanks! We have work to do!"

Halfway across the building, Lamar sat on his bench and watched as the doctor messed around the the vials. His long legs stretched out in front of him. Even WICKED's uniform pants were too short for him, exposing his ankles. 

"Alright, you've been so brave. You're working for a good cause." The doctor said softly, squeezing something yellow into a tube. Lamar rubbed his curls, nodded impatiently, and leaned back into is chair. He knew what was coming. It happened the same time every time. They'd put him to sleep, and he'd wake up in a nightmare. The same nightmare every time. 

Sometimes he'd try to mix it up, and sometimes he'd try to avoid it completely by doing nothing. But it always ended the same. George at gun point, and the man in the mask pulling that gun. He never got to see the life leave George's eyes, but even after he came to consciousness, screaming and thrashing, he was able to still hear the groans and screams of George's last, dying breaths.