Chapter 10: Splitting Up Again

Today is Friday! TGIF! Hope you guys are as ready for the weekend than I am. So here is our lovely lovely reader of the week. *drum roll* @wxlfhxard ! Your comments are lovely and it made my day when you commented saying you loved this series. It's really refreshing to hear that my works still keep people hooked. Your activity log for the longest time was just my works and it made me feel very special. You are super kind and sweet and you deserve this! <3 

If you, as a reader, didn't get it this week but thought you would, odds are you'll be getting it next week! I have a list of y'all! So enjoy this chapter, and don't forget to vote and comment. Your support keeps me going along. 

Chapter 10: Splitting Up Again

When Roxie came to, she was sweating. It had happened three more times, and because she had answered questions that left her defying WICKED. At one point, Luke shocked her before she even answered, anger clear in his blue eyes. It was hard to look at Luke and pretend it wasn't Liam staring back at her, that same distrust in those eyes.

She lifted her head, groaned, and flexed her trembling fingers. Her clothes clung to her damp body, and her hair plastered to her forehead.

"Roxie, we did this to the kids to make them forget their names. We shocked them until they accepted WICKED. And we're going to do the same to you." Luke growled, his finger hovering over the screen.

"Your brother defied quite a bit. He always wanted to stick to his real name. I don't even remember it. But you, you don't have a new name. You have a new mindset to grow into, that WICKED is good.

"WICKED is here to help you, and your friends who left are going to die out there. Your mother, and your brother, and anyone who steps foot into crank land without a cure will surely die because there is no cure. No cure!" He shouted, slamming his hands into the table. He stood and loomed over Roxie, shadows casting across his face.

"Those people out there," He threw open the curtains of the room, revealing the city in all it's advanced splendor. Skyrises rose against the sky and mountains, but WICKED's skyscraper was the highest of all. The tiny houses, apartments, cafes, and roads looked like cross stitches, and people were mere dots of color.

"They depend on us. And they're all going to die if we don't work quickly. It has taken so long to get the other subjects, those still here and going into new experiments, to realize that. And you should too. So we will shock you, and every damn Glader that we catch, until you realize we are here to help, not harm." Luke was looking out the window now, hands clasped behind his back, trembling madly.

Roxie sat in her chair, watching Luke with wide eyes. She knew he wouldn't hesitate. Memories that she had of him were cloudy, but true. He would kill, if it meant getting what he wanted.

"Now Roxie. Is WICKED good?" He turned to her, slowly, his voice deathly quiet. She remained silent, giving a slow gulp. He walked over, each footstep giving a hollow echo across the marble.

Roxie knew no matter what she said, she'd get shocked. She wanted to think of a way to let Luke know for sure that he was the bad guy, and she'd never see past that.

"Did it hurt?"

Luke paused at the question, fingers hovering above the screen. The box was quivering, trying to decode what Roxie felt.

"I ask the questions here, Miss Page." He said aggressively. However, it wasn't a straight, blunt aggressiveness, but a passive one, like a snake slithering slowly towards its prey.

Roxie attempted to straighten up in the chair. Sweat slid down her back and her heels dug into the floor, squeaking. "Did it hurt to see your son almost die? To see him in pain? Because it surely hurt me. And every glader that helped. Group B, they're- they're feeling the pain. Aris, he feels it most of all. And I, well, I don't even think my own brother associates with me anymore. But you..." She licked her lips, salt stinging her tongue. "You were the one behind it all, and I want to know, did it hurt?" Her last question came out as a whisper.