Kabanata 6

Kabanata 6: Enraged

Her eyes were confused and I could even see how fuzzy was her thoughts were. She heard us and denying was futile.

"What's with the celebration later?!"

"Fuck! Lower your voice, please." I tried to cover her mouth with my hand but she flinched her head.

I could feel my energy draining rapidly. Hindi pa pwedeng malaman nila mommy at daddy ang tungkol dito. Just by thinking how would they react and how would they become a hindrance was making me more languid.

"Why?" Her brows arched. "Oh! You want it be a secret!" she snapped her fingers.

I grabbed her arms and pulled her closer to me. She gasped because of that. I glued my eyes at her.

"She needs me, Aara. You know what life she has. It was unfair and I am just doing this for her sake."

"Because she is vulnerable like a glass at the egde of the cliff?" she asked in a low voice.

I nodded my head gently.

"But anyone that falls down will crash. No one is indestructible once fallen down the cliff."

Hinabol ko ang hinanga ko. I hate how she flinched my reason then turned it into a futile one.

"Come on, Aara. You have me for the rest of your life," I said straight into her eyes. "While she has me for temporary only."

She pushed me away from her. Inayos niya ang buhok niya sa likod habang kagat-kagat ang pang-ibabang labi. I could see how frustrated she was just be watching her brush her hair and bit her bottom lip.

"Aara, please. She needs me more than you do."

"Why? I couldn't scrutinize your reason. Why, Jude? Except that she is vulnerable to you."

I gulped hard as I gasped for enough air.

"You can't give me a reason? Then... I am sorry." I grabbed her arm again when she was about to leave.

She looked at me with disgust written on her face.

"I will also stay away from her when we already get married," I mumbled. "You will have all my time then." I pulled her even closer to me. "This I promise you." I whispered on her ears.

Napatitig siya sa akin. Ngumiti ako bago tumango. That's my plan. But for  now... I will make her happy.

"I believe in you, Jude..." Aara said, gently nodding her head.

"I trust you, Aara..." I replied.

Napatingin ako sa kamay kong nasa braso niya nang hawakan niya 'yon. Mahina niya hinaplos 'yon bago dahan-dahang inalis at tuluyan ng lumabas ng kwarto ko.

Natulala ako sa pinto. Mahina kong nakagat ang labi ko.

We had dinner together. Aara and Irene were just silent the whole time so I tried to talk about random stuff to break the awkward silence. I caught dad looking at me but he also flinched his head away from me.

Tinulungan namin ni Irene si Aleng Soreng sa paglilinis sa kusina. Nauna ng pumasok sa kwarto sina Mommy at Daddy na maaga pa ang pasok bukas. Habang si Aara naman ay nanatiling nakaupo at nakatingin sa amin.

"Ako na lang dito..." Sinubukan akong itulak ni Irene ngunit hindi ako nagpatinag. "Sige na, Jude."

Narinig ko ang mahinang pagtawa ni Aling Soreng.

"Ang tigas ng ulo mo," natatawang sabi ni Irene. Binigay niya sa akin ang isang tela. "Punasan mo na lang ang mga nahugasan na," utos niya.

Napatingin kami nang marinig ang paggalaw ng upuan at ang mabibigat na hakbang ni Aara palabas ng kusina.