Chapter 16

I waited in the office until noon, mulling over the options. The Lunar goddess was no help at all by being silent. I thought she wanted Adaus gone to help prevent him to get the lost piece of her. But maybe I was wrong? The doors opened. Max, Luke and my parents all walked in with Macon trailing behind. I nodded in acceptance of his presence as everyone except my father pulled up a chair. His eyes darted between me and his chair behind his desk. I rolled my eyes of his childishness.

"It's still your chair. I don't want it and I never will. So take a seat." I sighed and gestured to the chair. He eyed me suspiciously as he approached the chair.

"Just sit down Jack!" My mother growled. He sat down with a smug smile and rubbed the armrests.

"We need to figure out a way to stop Adaus." I said and watched everyone. All of them except my father listened to me, he was sitting and admiring his chair and desk like a little kid who just got a new toy. "Does anyone have any ideas?" My eyes was glued to my father as I asked but he didn't give me the light of day. "Alpha!" I yelled and slammed my hands down on his desk, making him jump. "I don't care about how you feel about me but I'm trying to help your pack and you're not the least interested in doing so. Why the fuck are you even Alpha if you don't care?" He frowned at me and crossed his arms but didn't answer.

I shook my head in disappointment and turned to the others. We sat for hours trying to figure out a plan to take Adaus down but every time Macon, our pack elder shot the suggestion down. I was getting frustrated and paced endlessly around in the office. Silence broke out as everyone was finally out of ideas.

"Blood moon." My father mumbled as he stared out of the window. "Those who run true are stronger." I cocked my brows and looked to Macon who shrugged.

"Dad, what are you talking about?" Luke asked. He turned and eyed all of us, clearing his throat.

"At the night of the blood moon, when the moon is on its highest, those who run true are stronger." He spoke and watched me. "However." He sighed. "They need a pack behind them. The stronger the pack, the stronger the...." A pained expression crossed his face. "Alpha." All eyes was suddenly on me and I started to feel uncomfortable. "There is a catch. At the same time as the... Alpha is strongest, they can't heal. So any damage inflicted during that time can be fatal." I looked to Macon for confirmation.

"I will have to look into that, but..." I cut him off.

"Do that. Right now it's all we got." I said and dismissed him. Macon left through the doors, leaving the rest of us in silence. I paced around in the room.

"Mac..." Max spoke but I cut him off as well.

"If there's a chance for me to do it I will. No matter the outcome it will be worth a shot." I said and looked at my father who had turned towards the window again. "If it could work, I will do it with or without the support of the pack." I stood in front of the doors. "I'll do it for Elizabeth and Haley. The least I can do is try and seek justice for them." With that I left the office.

My feet took me back to my room like they where on autopilot. I leaned on the door after closing it behind me and let out a sigh. Time is running out and we still haven't found a certain way to take down Adaus. I dropped my shirt and sweats on the floor and made my way to the bathroom. As I opened the door I froze by the sight of Jessica only wrapped in a towel. Her black hair was clinging to her back, still dripping with water. She turned to watch me in surprise. A drop of water caught my eyes as it rolled from her chin, down her throat and disappeared down her cleavage. I gulped hard, trying to convince myself to walk back out. I forced myself a step back and before I could move and further Jessica had thrown her arms around my neck and wrapped her legs behind me. On instinct I caught her and our lips smashed together.