Chapter 19

I paced frantic back and forth in front of the bed, hoping, pleading that she would be alright. My thoughts was ripping out my sanity and I was completely at the verge of breaking down. I joyed myself by the fact that Adaus took the greatest loss and that he was taken by surprise by our strength but the joy could never last while she was lying here, fighting for her life. Emma had bitten her and the bacteria all wolves carry in their saliva had entered her wound, infecting her, duplicating inside her. Not everyone survives a bite and that's what scares me. That she's not strong enough to survive the transition from human to wolf.

The transformation from human to wolf will take weeks, maybe even months before a full shift but it's only a matter of days before the wolfs strain will have taken over entirely. Waiting to see if the human body will survive that is excruciating and painful. It's been two days since she was bitten and she looks really pale, she screams out in agony when it becomes too much, this isn't a good sign. If her body embraced the transition she would be calm and warm, no screaming or pain. She would lie quietly until the strain had taken over. But sadly, this isn't the case.

I kept pacing restlessly, my own wounds had long healed and now, it was time for her to do the same. My mind kept going back to the day we met and how much we've been through since. She knows me better than anyone and without her, I would be lost.

*Flashback*

I had come to a foreign place, far away from the pack where I didn't know anyone. I rented a small place a few days ago when I arrived. Everything that had happened was so surreal and I had trouble wrapping my mind around it. My sister was murdered, my father kicked the shit out of me, I was thrown out of the pack and my mate left me. It was unbelievable. I've been cooped up in the apartment for days, and I'm starting to doubt my sanity. A night out might do me some good.

I walked into this dubious little place called The Tap. I'm very aware that I'm underage but I guess the man behind the counter didn't care when he didn't ask for ID as I placed my order. I sat sulking for hours, downing one beer after the other. Due to my high metabolism, I can drink more than the average people but even after thirteen beers, even I'm a little affected by it. A couple of voices grew louder in the back and curiosity took over.

"You did what!?" A high pitched voice rang. All eyes watched them a few seconds before turning back to their own business.

"Keep your voice down." A deeper voice hushed.

"You just tell me you screwed some bimbo and you want me to keep my voice down?" She screamed back at him.

"It wasn't that big of a deal, it happened one time." He answered.

"Oh, so just because it happened one time I'm supposed to be alright with it. Fuck you Damien!" Her voice got louder.

"You know what, I'm not going to listen to this shit. We've been dating for nearly a year and I haven't gotten anything out of this!" He yelled and slammed his hands to the table.

"Oh, go fuck yourself!" She hissed and ran for the ladies room.

After she was gone he stood up and stomped out the door. I sat back and slipped on my beer. Poor girl, I really feel sorry for her. To find out that your significant other have cheated on you, it must be tough. I couldn't even imagine doing that to Haley, not even now. The girl came back after a good ten minutes. She looked like she had been crying. I watched her for a few minutes before deciding to walk over to her. I guess I thought she needed a friend in this moment, just like me.

"Uhm. Hi." I spoke nervously. She just looked at me with this painful expression. "I thought you could use some company?" She didn't answer which made me uncomfortable. "Maybe not, I'm sorry I disturbed you." I turned to walk away.