Chapter 17

"Come on Mac, take a deep breath." Jessica tried to calm me to no avail. Tina jumped out of her chair and shook me.

"I told you I would slap you if you did this shit again." Tina scolded. I tried breathing but I almost gagged instead. A firm hand struck over my cheek and I sucked in a deep breath as the burning stung across my face. "You're an idiot for not knowing how to breathe."

"Keep breathing Mac." Jessica spoke and rubbed my arm soothingly. I nodded and took a few more breaths. My eyes snapped to Max.

"She's what?" I asked. I knew what he had said the first time but I couldn't wrap my mind around it.

"Melanie is Haley's daughter." Max repeated.

I got out of my chair and started pacing. I knew there was something familiar about her but I would never have expected this. I wonder if Jeff is her father? No, that doesn't even matter. What matter is Melanie and what's going to happen with her. Who's going to take care of her? After seeing what damage both Jeff and Leann could do, I won't even consider to let anyone else from the pack take care of her. Luke's without a mate and Max and Tina just met. That leaves my parents who's definitely not fit for taking care of their kids or me and.... No, I'm not even going to go there, it's definitely out of the question.

With that, I bolted to my room and started pacing all over again. Melanie is Haley's daughter, why didn't she tell me? I've been here for weeks and NOBODY told me. As the matter of fact, no one tells me anything. Adaus have been telling me the truth more than anyone else. He's right, I care to much for others and it's going to be the end of me. If I didn't care he wouldn't be able to hurt me and I would probably have a greater chance against him.

"Stupid heart. Why do you gotta care? Why do you keep giving room? Can't you just stop and give me a break? I don't need you commanding me around, letting you take decisions for me. You're not rational. The more people you let in, the more people are in danger. Why don't you understand that?" I debated myself out loud. A sigh sounded from the door and my eyes snapped up. "You shouldn't be here."

"Yes I should Mac, because I care about you." Jessica spoke and closed the door behind her.

"No I mean it. You shouldn't be here." I repeated.

"You're not doing this shit to me again." She hissed. I shrugged and crossed my arms. "Why do you do it? You think it's all a game or something?"

"Of course not." I sighed. "I just can't with everything that's going on, it's too much. Adaus is out there trying to kill me slowly and painfully. Why do you think you're here?" Jessica shrugged. "Because the only way he can really break me is by hurting those I care about." I paced back and forth again. "And I can't let that happen! Don't you see that? I can't care for you. He only seeks havoc and destruction, and if he gets what he wants he won't hesitate. He'll kill everyone who opposes him and humans will be a top priority on his list." I ranted while my eyes was glued to the floor passing me by. "So you see, I can't do this, us."

"Fuck you mac!" Jessica screamed as she fumed with rage. "You should have thought of that earlier, before you decided to fuck me!" I stopped as she stepped in front of my pacing but I didn't look up. "I've even accepted this whole fucked up situation without asking too many questions. I fucking accepted you! And now after everything, you're seriously going to push me away again?"

"It's not because I want to but I need to." I retorted.

"That's bullshit!" She spat out.

"Then what the fuck do you want me to say?" I yelled and my eyes snapped to hers.

"Try the the fucking truth!" Jessica screamed. I didn't answer but kept staring at her annoyingly. "Answer me!" She shoved me hard in the chest. "Tell me why you're so afraid!" She pushed me again. Thinking about what I had done previously today by slicing her and the incident with Leann, I'm a little amazed that she has the courage to provoke me like this. I'm not going to lie, it actually turns me on. "I swear Mac, if you don't answer me..." I crossed my arms and glared at her.