Chapter 22

That was quick thinking Mackenzie. Huh? What's going on? Adaus got you good but you fooled him. I'm impressed. You!? No, go away! I'm sorry I left you like that but you needed it. I needed it!? No! I needed advice and you bailed on me! I let you fend on your own and you did great. You didn't need me. That's bull! Didn't you hear me? I asked you so many things! But you figured it out all on your own Mackenzie. You should be proud of yourself. You know what, go away. I liked it better when you gave me the silent treatment. I'm sorry Mackenzie. Yeah right, and somehow you miraculously stop claiming souls. Deal. What? If you stop Adaus, I will. On one condition.

"Mac, can you hear me?"

What condition? You don't kill him. Are you serious? First you want me to kill him, then you don't? You need to get your priorities straight lady! Listen to me! Jeez, you're confusing! If you can get close enough to him and hold him long enough for me to transfer into him, he'll be my last soul. Oh. That makes sense, I guess...... Wait, are you serious? You can do that? You keep underestimating me, I am the Lunar goddess Mackenzie. There's little I can't do. Fine. Just don't disappear on me again!

"Come on honey, wake up."
"Mackenzie. I'm so sorry."

I promise but... Believe in yourself some more Mackenzie, once you do, you'll realize how great you're really supposed to be. Now heal. Wha? Just like in the woods, heal. I don't know how I did that. Have faith in yourself, believe in who you are. Give in to those feelings and let the real you emerge.

Slowly I calmed myself, breathing slow deep breaths. I searched deep inside, raking myself for those feelings of who I really am. A great powerful Alpha no one could take down. A protector of those who needed protection. A courageous fighter who fought for the weak and a pack leader who had every wolf standing proud behind me.

After long time searching, nothing happened. This isn't who I am and it isn't who I want to be. I'm nothing more than an average wolf, not even that. I'm more human than wolf and I have been for a long time. I'm someone who's looking for my place in the world, somewhere I belong. Sure, I was born a wolf but it isn't who I'm meant to be, not anymore. I belong in the human world, living an average life, with an average job, working my ass off. It's quite fulfilling for me. Knowing that I worked for what I have is the best feeling ever, and that's who I really am.

Surges of warmth rippled under my skin and tingles spread to every limb. I was struck by confusion. This couldn't be it, could it? My heart picked up pace, beating loud and strong as I felt my flesh starting to move and nerves connecting. My rapid healing felt like a stinging sensation, almost completely painless.

My eyes opened slowly to a surrounding darkness. I slid my hand over my stomach, pressing lightly over the wound Adaus inflicted but there was no pain, making me sigh in relief. Quickly I threw the covers away and felt down my thighs and legs, nothing there as well. I stood and walked to the bathroom, dropping my clothes to the floor so I could get a better look at my own body. It was amazing. With every claw that ripped my skin, there was not a single trace. I was completely healed. Full of relief I let out a small chuckle. I quickly ducked under the shower, relishing in the warm water that gently caressed my skin. My stomach growling let my shower come to an end and I dressed in sweats and a tank. Light sobbing and voices entered my ears as I entered the kitchen.

"It's only been a few days. She's tough and she's gonna pull through." Max tried to comfort.

I watched Jessica and Tina sit on the floor, embracing each other for support while Max had his arms wrapped around them both. It was actually heart warming to see them caring so much. A soft smile tugged on my lips.