:CHAPTER 9:

It's been a couple of days since the party. Stefanie and Erik haven't talked much, but Isabel, seeing a connection between them, keeps pressuring her to talk to him. It's always the same response, no matter how many times she asks.

Stefanie is checking her camera's settings on the field when an upset Isabel walks up to her.

"Did you talk to him?" she asks, tapping her foot.

Stefanie raises her head and sighs, "I haven't had the chance."

"Please talk to him, Stef! You have a connection; I see it. So what you walked away from him at the party? Put that behind you!"

Stefanie buries her head into her arms, "Agh, I'm too awkward for this scheiße. Can you give me time?"

Isabel shakes her head, "You've had enough time; if you're not going to do anything about this, I will."

Isabel walks away and Stefanie shakes her head, So persistent, but I do have to talk to him. I just don't know how to explain...

-------------------------------------

At the end of practice, Stefanie is waiting for Isabel, who promised her a ride. Instead of a Volkswagen pulling up in front of her, an Audi does. The window rolls down and she could see Erik at the wheel.

"Hey," he says, "Isabel told me she couldn't give you a ride, so she asked me to give you one."

Stefanie sighs, Of course she did this. She slightly smiles at him before entering the car, "Thanks."

She gives him her address and they are on the way. There are several minutes of awkward silence between them, until Stefanie decides that she has to talk to him.

"I-," Stefanie begins.

"Look-," Erik says at the same time.

They look at each other, a blush evident on both faces.

"Sorry," they both say, and laugh.

"Ladies first," says Erik.

Stefanie looks at her hands, then proceeds to talk, "I'm, um, I'm sorry for walking out like that at the party, it wasn't you, it was me-"

"Hey," Erik interrupts, "Don't blame it on yourself; I'm the dummkopf here since I asked about your father which seems to be a sensitive topic for you. So I'm the one who should be sorry."

Stefanie is still looking at her hands, not wanting to look up. All of a sudden, Erik's hand grabs her left hand so she's forced to look up. She sees him looking at her with eyes full of guilt, knowing that he was the one who caused her to walk away.

She sighs, and Erik starts rubbing circles on the back of her hand. Feeling comfortable with him, Stefanie decides that it was time to tell him why she walked off like that.

"The thing is," she begins, getting Erik's attention, "I did hear from my dad, when I was 18. This was right before I went to college. I guess he found out that I worked at a little cafe, and one day he came along. I hated him and told him to go away, until I broke into tears and sat down outside. It was cold so I was shivering, and he took off his coat and placed it on my shoulders, trying to comfort me. I trusted him again, but he betrayed me. He took my wallet, with all of my money included. I was an idiot to have the passcode to my saving account in there, so he took more than half of my savings out of the account. I was miserable and vowed to never trust anyone who gives me a coat, because when that happens, I'm in a vulnerable position and the person can easily steal my things. Just like he did."

There is silence, until Erik squeezes her hand. She looks at him as he is beginning to speak, "Look, I'm not one of those arschlöcher who gets someone in a vulnerable position to steal their money. And what your dad did was not what a dad is supposed to do. He was supposed to not take your life savings for his own. And, again, I'm so sorry for asking about him. I guess my curiosity was not leading me in the right direction."

He turns his head and gives her a little smile, which Stefanie returns. There is still about 10 minutes until they got to her place, so she tries to forget what happened at the party. I guess I have to make it up for him, she thinks.

"So," Stefanie says, "How about having a movie marathon at my place?"

Erik, who is still holding her hand, squeezes it again, "That would be great, Stef."Stefanie blushes at the nickname and smiles, feeling the best she has in days.