Hiding In The Library

"I need you to keep Ryan away from me during lunch." Chad replied hastily.

Now that was a weird request. And it showed on their faces.

  "Wait, why? I thought you-" Jason glanced at Zeke. "I thought you guys were good friends?" He finished quickly, trying to avoid outing Chad before he was ready.

"Yeah, we were." Chad scoffed, and without thinking - or just not caring - admitted, "Then at practice on Monday we almost kissed."

  Zeke's eyes widened, "He tried to kiss you?! Wow, I knew he was gay- but I mean- I didn't think he was the type to-"

"Zeke?" Troy interrupted, glaring at the rambling boy.

   "Yeah?"

"Shut up." This caught Zeke even more off guard, but he obeyed, looking down at his shoes.

  "No," Chad shook his head, "I tried to kiss him." He knew it was probably stupid to blurt it out like this, but he found it hard to care.

Zeke's head snapped up to meet Chad's serious gaze. Anyone could tell that he wanted to say something, but it wasn't in Zeke to ask questions like the ones that were swirling around in his head when there was clearly more important things at hand.

  "So you say you tried to kiss him? What happened?" Jason asked dumbly, changing the subject slightly.

"Jason." Troy and Zeke groaned. The boy could be so dim witted sometimes.

   Chad scoffed again, "He ran away, ok? And I've been avoiding him since and I really don't wanna break that streak now." He looked at his friends pleadingly, "So will you please help me?" The boys nodded without a second thought.

"Why don't you and I go to the library, and Jason, Zeke, and the girls can bring us food?" Jason and Zeke nodded along, and Chad agreed.

  Troy grinned, "Great! Gabriella brought lunch from home today so she's probably getting it from her locker. We'll go that way and tell her that you and Ry got in an argument, she'll understand."

The boys nodded. "Sounds like a plan." Zeke agreed, "I brought lunch form home too, and I've got home made soufflé that we can all share."

*************************************

  Troy and Chad made their way to Gabriella's locker, running when teachers weren't around so as not to miss her. Luckily they didn't, and Gab agreed to the plan almost instantly, but not without giving Chad a knowing look that, on most days, would make his skin crawl. But today was not most days.

Gab promised to fill Taylor in on the plan, and they parted ways.

  Troy and Chad sat at one of the bugger tables that was pushed to the back off the library, hidden behind a couple bookshelves. "I'll text Gabs where we are." Troy informed, and Chad simply nodded, glad that the strict Library teacher that kept walking at him that one time at the beginning of the year, wasn't here at the moment.

Troy placed his phone on the table, next to a stack of books, and sighed at his best friend. "You're gonna have to talk to him eventually, you know that, right?" Chad simply shrugged, avoiding his friend's gaze.

  Troy decided to drop it, but they both knew it was just temporary.

Over the course of lunch, Chad ate more than his share. It was no secret that he was a nervous eater, his mother had learned to cook a big feast the night before a big game.

  "Damn Chad, what is this, the Irish potato famine of 1879?" Taylor laughed, and Gabriella giggled. The others gave them confused looks that the chocolate-skinned brainiac ignored.

Chad looked up at his ex girlfriend and grunted. Taylor frowned.

  "Ok, what is going on?" Troy went to cover for his friend, but Chad waved him off. At this point, he had nothing to lose.

After Chad was done explaining everything - starting from the second he realized he saw Ryan as more than a friend - lunch was already over, and the group was heading out of the library (they had left their trays at the front desk with a note promising to make it up to Ms. Sawitus, the librarian).

  Zeke had rolled his lips into his mouth, not knowing how to respond.

Gabriella was chewing on her cheek in thought.

  Taylor grinned. "I knew it!" She announced happily. This did not surprised Chad, he knew how brilliant the girl was.

It did, however, surprise Zeke. "You knew?!"

  Taylor scoffed, "Of course I did. They were totally obvious." Chad rolled his eyes, not saying anything as he left the group to go to his class.

*************************************

"Can we just go eat already, Ry?" Kelsey's whined, trudging behind the boy, who was frantically searching the lunchroom for a certain curly-haired WildCat.

  "You told me to talk to him, so that's what I'm going to do." He replied, determination in his steps as he peaked around a garbage can.

Kelsey rolled her eyes, "Yeah, okay, that's great, but I'm hungry." When Ryan didn't respond, the brunette scoffed, "And besides, you'll have time to talk to him during rehearsal tonight." Ryan stopped in his tracks, and Kelsey smirked. Got him.

  "Yeah, I guess you're right." He admitted, letting himself be pulled toward the lunch line. "Good. And you're gonna make up for making me wait so long, it's tater tot day and all the good ones are going to be gone now."

*************************************
A/N: Damn I am on a ROLL today.
(He says, ignoring the fact that his room is a mess, he's in need of a shower, and he still has a shit ton of homework to do).
Well I'm planning on posting this the day after I wrote it, so hopefully I'll already have the start of the next chapter, as well as a clean room and no longer smelling like a dumpster fire (too much? Probably)
Hadet guys, and as usual, i love feedback! 💕