chapter fourteen

Vote if you enjoy!

The only noise we can hear is the sound of the snow crunching beneath our feet, the wind rushing past us. His hand is clinging to mine. Our pace quick, his breathing rapid and uneven. All colour is drained from his face.

Suddenly he pulls his hand from mine, tears in his eyes.

"I'm sorry," He mutters, pulling away from me fully and walking faster, leaving me behind.

"Draco!" I yell, but he ignores me, disappearing into the snow. I stop walking, shivering slightly as the wind hisses at me.

Suddenly I hear a scream from behind me. I turn, squinting to see through the thick snowfall. I spot dark figures in the distance, and suddenly one of them is thrown into the air. I kick off at a run, skidding to a stop when I see her. She drops to the ground, her body still jittering, her eyes flying all over the place. Her name is Katie Bell, she's a Gryffindor- Quite a nice girl. I look up, seeing Harry, Ron and Hermione, accompanied by Leanne, one of Katie's friends. To their side lies a box, open, with a necklace spilling out onto the snow. The paper that it had been wrapped in flaps in the wind.

I hurry to Katie's side, reaching for her arm, and finding it limp.

"Katie! Katie!" I hiss, leaning over her,

"Get back!" Hagrid's voice booms and I jump away from her, standing straight and walking backwards. Hagrid mutters under his breath, scooping Katie up.

"Don't touch that!" Hagrid yells back to us, as I reach to pick up the necklace.

I help Harry carefully put it back in its box, ensuring neither of us come into contact with it directly. He glances at me thankfully as we hurry back to the castle, unsure as to what we witnessed.

xxx

"Why, when something happens, is it always you four?" McGonagall sighs, shaking her head.

"Believe me, Professor, I've been asking myself the same question for six years," Ron responds.

McGonagall's focus turns to someone entering the room behind us, and I turn to see Snape.

"Ah, Severus," She greets him,

We watch as he examines the necklace, levitating it, his eyes swimming with concern.

"What do you think?" McGonagall asks,

"I think Miss Belle is lucky to be alive." He answers, putting the necklace down,

"She was cursed, wasn't she? I know Katie, off the Quidditch pitch she wouldn't hurt a fly. If she was delivering that to Professor Dumbledore, she wasn't doing it knowingly." Harry states, looking up at the two Professors earnestly,

"Yes, she was cursed," McGonagall says in a low tone,

"It was Malfoy," Harry says quickly, and my eyes snap up.

"It was not," I hiss, "He was with me the entire time!"

"No, he wasn't. He left you alone for a good five minutes, he could have done it then." Harry snaps, an eyebrow raised.

"That is a very serious accusation, Potter," McGonagall says, glancing at the two of us.

"Indeed. Your evidence?" Snape asks, stepping forward.

"I- I just know." Harry stutters, scowling.

"You just know?" Snape sneers, "Once again we're astonished by your gifts, Potter, gifts meer mortals can only dream of possessing. How grand it must be, to be the Chosen One."