chapter twenty-six

Vote if you enjoy!

I follow Harry down the stairs to the living room where Remus, Tonks and Arthur are sitting. Harry sits down at the end of the small couch which has been buried in blankets, making it impossible to see the fabric underneath. I sink down into the seat next to him, placing my hands in my lap and glancing around. 

"Voldemort has chosen Draco Malfoy for a mission?" Remus says in disbelief, frowning at Harry's accusation. I bite my lip. 

"I know it sounds mad," Harry says quickly. 

"It does, Harry. " I say quietly, my mouth dry. I shift in my seat. Do I say something? I can't. Harry will lose his shit if he thinks that Draco is a Death Eater, and I'd rather not prove him right. 

"I heard Draco and Snape talking, something about an unbreakable vow," Harry argues, and I frown, 

"When?"

"I followed you out of the Christmas party, did you really think I'd just stand there?" He answers matter-of-factly, and I roll my eyes,

"I was handling it."

"Well, evidently it was lucky I followed you because you wouldn't have told us anything!" He snaps, 

Remus sighs, cutting Harry off and leaning forward in his seat, "Has it occurred to you two that Snape is simply pretending? So he can find out what Draco is up to?"

I shrug, looking down. 

"Perhaps they are right, Remus, to make the unbreakable vow-" Tonks puts in, only to be cut off. 

"It comes down to whether or not you trust Dumbledore's judgment. Dumbledore trusts Snape therefore I do." Remus says, his voice rough, 

"Dumbledore can make mistakes he's said so himself-" Harry argues, 

"You are blinded by hatred." Remus snaps, 

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are!" 

"And what does that make me?" I say loudly. They both turn to me, and I glance from one to the other, "Something's going on, alright? I admit it. Whether you believe us or not is up to you."

Remus puts his face in his hands, then looks back up, "People are disappearing daily. We can only put our trust in a handful of people. If we start fighting amongst ourselves, we're doomed." 

xxx

Later, Harry goes to speak to Arthur alone in the shed. I stay behind. I don't feel like this is my business, strangely. I feel as though I should remain a background character to my brothers prophesy. To his life. As much as I hate it, I think have to accept it. When they return, Harry heads upstairs to talk to Ron, and I start to help Molly clean the dishes. We work wordlessly, the only noise is the hum of Christmas music from the living room and the sloshing of water in the sink. 

Finally, I head up to Ginny's room, climbing the stairs slowly, passing at Fred and George's door. 

"Oi, Clara!"

I sigh, turning walking back, peering in. They look up, motioning for me to come in. I step inside the warmly lit room that smells of dust and boy. I raise an eyebrow. 

"What is it?"

They glance at each other, "Two things."

I sigh. "Yes?"

"We expect details about the-" Fred wriggles his eyebrows suggestively at me and I frown,

"And we want your opinion on a new design for these sweets that let you see in the dark," George adds.