01

"My idea of 'help from above' is a sniper on a roof

"My idea of 'help from above' is a sniper on a roof."

NADINE MADAKI

Lagos was a brilliant city.

Tall skyscrapers, bustling nightlife, some pretty incredible infrastructure that westerners would probably think they're a myth.

Yes, Lagos, Nigeria was a brilliant city.

But right now, it was also the home of Nadine's target, and she wasn't leaving until her target was dealt with.

That's why she was perched on the roof of the building she'd been staying in, a mile away from the party her partner Dante was at. Her sniper's scope was adjusted so she could see anyone who passed by the glass window of the fancy condo the party was at.

No sign of her target yet.

"I see you." She muttered, chuckling when the corners of Dante's lips lifted upwards at her comment. Her small headphones were providing the necessary means for her to communicate with him for this stint.

"Don't distract me, leonessa." He replied, using his nickname for her to make his point. He knew she'd listen to him because of it.

She hated that.

"Eyes on the target." Dante whispered so quietly, Nadine almost didn't catch it. "Walking now."

She hadn't seen her target yet. "You know how this works, bring the target to me."

"Of-"

Dante voice was cut off by the shrill ringing in her ears. She cringed, trying to remove her headphones to save her hearing, but just like that, it was gone. "Dante?" Nadine whispered questioningly; the sound of static was her unfortunate answer. Oh, no. Oh shit. "Dante, answer me."

"Hello again, вишневая бомба."

...Shit.

A second didn't even go by when she recognized the voice. She'd know the infamous Black Widow's voice anywhere, and Nadine wouldn't mind talking to her, if it wasn't for the fact that she had terrible, terrible timing.

"I'm a little busy right now, Red, but, please, do interrupt my mission right now."

"I won't keep you for too long. I just need a small favor."

Dante wasn't in her view, neither was her target. "Your favors are never small." She pointed out, recalling the other time Natasha asked her for a favor and she almost got killed by poison. "What is it?"

"A war has broken out in the nation of Wakanda. The king implored me to extract... well, let's just say I had some assets I needed to get from there."

And by assets, Nadine had a feeling she knew what she meant. She might not be in the public eye, or work for SHIELD anymore, but that didn't mean she didn't keep tabs on people that piqued her interest. She knew about Natasha's recent, public endeavors. It wasn't hard to put the pieces together as to what she meant.

"Wakanda, huh?" She'd heard of the nation before, but she knew just about what everyone else did, maybe a bit more, if what little Taj has told her was true. Out of all the obscure places she's learned about, the African country had to be one of the most mysterious (and elusive) ones.

"You're not asking me to kidnap the king, are you?" Her target's close, but not as close as she wanted. A few steps forward and it'd be perfect. She could only hope that Dante was thinking the same thing.

"No, that king can take care of himself, trust me."

"Are you implying that I help you out of Wakanda? Because I don't know if you've noticed, but that country is almost as closed off as North Korea."

Natasha chuckled. "Relax," she said, but that just made the tension in Nadine's shoulders tighten even more. "We're in Lagos."

Now it made sense. "The airport cameras," she figured. "You found us on them."

"Did you mean you messed up? Because you did. You let your face show."

Actually, she meant to do that. Though it's a subtle move that'll be ignored by most, in any case they came looking, she wanted her target to know who took on this mission.

Because if there's one thing she's always hated, it was human trafficking. That, that was always something that filled her with rage. Not drug trade, not money laundering, not the dirty politicians. Human trafficking.

Nadine took these types of missions so personally, she relished in them knowing who was dismantling their system. It took them one step closer to her killing them face to face.

Her target was close to the window now.

"Fine. I'll be your extraction point. I'll help you out of Lagos." Her finger was on the trigger, and her jaw was clenched tightly as she waited for Dante to separate from the target to do the job. "Now, please, let me finish what I'm doing, and we'll talk later about how we're getting out of here."

"Deal. Покa, Nadine."

Dante left to mix with the crowd. Her target was alone. Not in the middle like she wanted, but she could make do.

"Tchau, Natasha."

Her finger pulled the trigger, and on the other side of the sniper rifle was a cracked hole on the glass window, where the next leader of the Adebowale clan had just stood seconds ago. Her body was slumped on the floor, no doubt with a bullet hole right in her eye.

And with that, everything erupted into absolute chaos. 
_______________________________

WORD TRANSLATION:
1) leonessa (italian) - lioness
2) вишневая бомба (russian) - cherry bomb
3) Покa (russian) - goodbye (informal variation)
4) Tchau (portuguese) - goodbye

Note: I'm not fluent in many languages so I'll try to keep it at basic phrases and such. I'm only fluent in Spanish and English, so obviously if I ever decide to include more languages, Spanish is most likely gonna be my go-to. Or French because I know basic French (oui oui hehehe) but yeah lol

Please let me know what you think so far:) comment, vote, share it, anything really.

Now I'm off to continue watching One Day at a Time WHICH IS AN AMAZING SHOW AND YOU SHOULD WATCH IT