16

"And look at how far we've come, and how far we still have to go

"And look at how far we've come, and how far we still have to go."

NADINE

Nadine played with the ends of her blonde wig, smirking as she noticed Dante fidgeting with his tie. "Calm down," she muttered, squeezing his arm.

"I'm calm," he retorted, turning his head towards the window next to him. They were currently seated on a train on its way to Germany, where the Mussolini gang most likely would end up adding their current hostages to their increasing number of trafficking victims. "I just really don't like ties."

"Sounds like someone else I know."

Dante made a face, hazel eyes locked on the view outside. "Don't compare us. It's weird."

Nadine rolled her eyes, smoothing the sleeves of her emerald green coat. "Honestly, I still don't understand how you aren't closer."

"We'd probably kill each other."

"Actually," Bucky's voice rang through the coms, his tone borderline smug. "You'd try killing me, but we both know that I'd beat you."

Oh, great, here we go again.

"Down, boys," she chastised, eyes searching for anything unusual around her. A little girl noticed her, and when Nadine smiled and waved, she did the same; she then went back to talking to the woman next to her. Her mother, Nadine presumed. She ignored the pang of longing it left in her heart, focusing on the rest of her surroundings. "How are we looking?"

"Everything's calm in our end," Emilia answered. "Well, except for Muscles over here."

"I fell off of a fucking train, Emilia," Bucky huffed. Oh, god. Nadine felt terrible for forgetting about that. The last thing she wanted was to poke at Bucky's traumas. "Forgive me if I don't feel safe."

She prayed to whatever celestial being was out there to help him keep his cool. "I'm sorry, James. I should've remembered."