35

"Sometimes I wonder if love is worth fighting for

But then I remember your face,
And I'm ready for war."

BUCKY

"Let's go over the plan one more time."

Indira Eisley let out a slightly exasperated sigh as she clutched the steering wheel tightly. One of Jameson's former pupils, she'd been undercover in Nikolai's compound as a favor to Emilia. About a week ago, she contacted her about Nadine's whereabouts, and now there they were, in mountainous Alaska, hoping that in the four days since she last saw Nadine that she was still alive.

His heart ached at the thought, but he imagined he had a little box and locked it all up inside it. Now was not the time for worry.

"I'll drop you off just before the checkpoint. Once I get inside, I'll be working on disabling the electric gate. Once that's done and the guards outside are taken out, you can get inside."

"Bucky and I will meet up and make a b-line towards the room Nadine's being held in," Natasha said on comms. She'd been working nonstop in trying to find Nadine, determined to ensure she was safe again. It was one of those instances where the Widow's ruthlessness was inescapable.

"Then we blow that building up," Bucky finished, almost in a nonchalant manner. "We'll only have one chance."

"The plan will work," Indira muttered, looking at him through car mirror. Her dark brown eyes, black hair, and amber skin almost reminded him of Nadine.

Despite Emilia vouching for her, Bucky was suspicious. He didn't know Indira, except for what she had said. And yet, here he was, basically risking everything to trust that she was a woman of her word.

When he looked up, Indira was staring at him still. "You're uneasy."

"I wonder why," he retorted, studying the knife in his hand. It was an impressive blade, with a curved edge that would make anyone tense up at the sight. Surprisingly enough, he felt calm as he flipped it in his hands with ease.

"Emilia's my friend," Indira said. "I'm risking my life here to ensure I help Samira-"

"-Nadine."

"Nadine," she corrected. "Because I owe Emilia my life."

"Just drive," he stated forcefully, putting an end to their conversation. He may be obligated to trust her, but he didn't need to talk to her about anything other than saving Nadine. The woman obliged, finally starting their journey to the facility in silence. Every now and then Bucky would look up and stare at the endless white snow from the region. She had been somewhere in the frozen arctic all this time, and Bucky didn't even ask how she was holding up. He didn't want to know, but he needed to. He needed to prepare for the worst. "How was she?"